Register to reply

Steel strength chart?

by ctstaas
Tags: chart, steel, strength
Share this thread:
ctstaas
Aug19-14, 12:02 PM
P: 1
Hi All, I am looking for a chart with A36 square tubing strengths. I am mostly concerned with tension strength but yield and other values might come in handy later. Thanks for you input, Chris
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
SteamKing
Aug19-14, 12:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,723
Have you tried google? You can find catalogs from various suppliers of steel tubing if you take a little time to search for them.
henneh
Aug27-14, 03:14 PM
P: 7
You need to ask your supplier to ensure that you use the correct yield strength, as not all grades of steel are equal e.g. S275, S355, S420 etc where 275 is the yield strength in MPa or N/mm2

Mech_Engineer
Aug30-14, 09:49 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,288
Steel strength chart?

I've found MIL-HDBK-5J to be an excellent material properties resource that can be found free in PDF form online. That being said, A36 isn't covered in it because A36 typically isn't used in strength-critical applications dues to its material properties compared to other much stronger steel alloys being available.

http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-HDBK/MI...L_HDBK_5J_139/

If you have an application where material strength is a design concern, make sure to buy material which has been certified for the strength your design requires. This goes double for safety-critical applications.

Register to reply