At what rate must the current be to changed to produce 40V emf

In summary, the question is asking for the rate of change of current (di/dt) needed to produce a 40 V emf in a 20 H inductor. The formula for EMF is -L di/dt, so by plugging in the given values (EMF = 40 V and L = 20 H), we can solve for di/dt. It is important to remember to include the negative sign in the formula.
mr_coffee
A 20 H inductor carries a steady current of 4.0 A. At what rate must the current be changed to produce a 40 V emf in the inductor?

I odn't get this one because it gives you all the information!
The formula is:
EMF = -L di/dt
they want u to find di/dt, but they already give you it has a steady current of 4.0A, so isn't di/dt just i, which is 4.0A?
Then the EMF would be 40, and they say L = 20H, so I'm stuck on what intermediate step I'm missing! thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a steady current, at any value,

[tex] \frac {dI} {dt} = 0 [/tex]

So basically, I can disregard that they told me it had a steady current of 4.0A right? and then just use
di/dt = EMF/-L to find the di/dt?

thanks that was the trick! i did that the last time, but forgot the minus sign!

1. What is emf and how is it related to current?

Emf stands for electromotive force and it is a measure of the energy that causes electric current to flow. It is related to current because current is the flow of electric charge, and emf is what causes this flow.

2. How is the rate of current change related to emf?

The rate of current change, also known as the rate of change of current, is directly proportional to the emf. This means that an increase in the rate of current change will result in a corresponding increase in the emf.

3. What is the unit of measurement for emf?

Emf is measured in volts (V), which is a unit of electric potential. It represents the amount of energy per unit charge.

4. Can the current be changed to produce any desired emf value?

Yes, the current can be changed to produce any desired emf value. This can be done by adjusting the rate of current change, which can be achieved by changing the resistance or the strength of the magnetic field.

5. Is there a specific rate at which the current must be changed to produce 40V emf?

Yes, there is a specific rate at which the current must be changed to produce 40V emf. This rate can be calculated using the formula: emf = -L(dI/dt), where L is the inductance of the circuit and dI/dt is the rate of change of current. By rearranging the formula, we can calculate the required rate of change of current to produce 40V emf.