Can Sound Waves Help Us Understand the Clearing of Saltwater Solutions?

• Thread starter gdaigle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of adding table salt to warm water and stirring it. The speaker notes that the sound of the spoon hitting the glass changes as the solution becomes cloudy, and explains that this is due to the solid salt crystals changing the pitch. The conversation also mentions a comparison of stirring water with and without added salt, and concludes that different materials conduct sound at different frequencies.
gdaigle
I have a cold and need to gargle. I put a tsp of table salt into a waterglass, add warm water and stir. I immediate hear the ting-tang pitch of the spoon-hitting-glass slowly lowering as I stir. The solution is now cloudy. As I continue to stir the pitch now rises back to its beginning point as the solution begins to clear.

Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I should add ... I then tried the same (adding warm water, stirring) but without adding the table salt. There was no (or little) pitch change.

Well, obviously it's the solid salt crystals changing the pitch. As you know, sound travels faster through solids than it does through water (well it usually does). I guess different materials also conduct (is that the right word?) different frequencies in different ways.

1. What is "Physics for people with colds"?

"Physics for people with colds" is a branch of physics that focuses on how the laws of physics apply to everyday situations for people who are experiencing cold symptoms. This may include studying the effects of temperature, pressure, and motion on the body and how they are affected by a cold.

2. Why is it important to study physics for people with colds?

Studying physics for people with colds can help us better understand how our bodies react to different stimuli and how we can better manage discomfort caused by a cold. It can also provide insight into the underlying physical processes of a cold and potentially lead to new treatments or preventions.

3. What are some examples of physics principles that apply to people with colds?

Some examples may include understanding how heat is transferred from the body to the environment, how air pressure changes affect the sinuses, and how motion can impact the spread of a cold virus.

4. How does studying physics for people with colds benefit society?

Studying physics for people with colds can lead to a better understanding of the human body and how it responds to different conditions. This knowledge can be applied to other areas of medicine and healthcare, potentially leading to advancements in treatments and prevention methods for a variety of illnesses and conditions.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying physics for people with colds?

Yes, there are many practical applications of this field of study. For example, understanding the relationship between temperature and the immune system can help us develop better ways to manage and prevent colds. Additionally, studying the physics of coughing and sneezing can help us develop more effective strategies for containing the spread of viruses.