Calculating Total Charge in a Charged Block and Spring System

In summary, two identical metal blocks connected by a spring with a constant of 148N/m and unstretched length of 0.3m have a total charge of Q placed on them causing the spring to stretch to an equilibrium length of 0.7m. The charge is distributed equally on the blocks, resulting in a repulsive electrostatic force between them. This force is balanced by the stretched spring. Using Coulomb's law, the value of Q can be determined to be -3.22x10^-9C. However, this value is incorrect as it only solves for q_1 and not the total charge Q.
Punchlinegirl
Two identical metal blocks resting on a frictionless horizontal surface are connected by a light metal spring having constant of 148 N/m and unstretched length of 0.3 m. A total charge of Q is slowly placed on the system causing the spring to stretch to an equilibrium length of 0.7 m. Determine the value of Q, assuming that all the charge resides on the blocks and the blocks can be treated as point charges. Answer in units of C.
I drew a free body diagram, but I have no idea where to go from there.. can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge distributes itself equally on the two blocks (how much on each?), thus there is a repulsive electrostatic force between the blocks (Coulomb's law). That force is balanced by the stretched spring, which pulls the blocks together. (What's the spring force?)

Since there's equilibrium, the net force on each block must be zero.

so -kx= k*q_1*q_2 /r^2 since it has to equal 0.
(-148)(.3)=9 x 10^9 *q_1*q_2 /(.7)^2
-21.756 = 9 x 10^-9 * q_1 *q_2
-2.42 x 10^-9 = q_1 * q_2
-242 x 10^-9 / 2 = -1.21 x 10^-9 since the charges are equal.
am I doing this right?

(1) "x" is the amount the spring stretches. How much is that? (Compare stretched to unstretched length.)

(2) q_1 = q_2. But q_1 doesn't equal (q_1 * q_2)/2 ! (You'll need to take a square root at some point.)

ok, so the length that the spring stretches is .4 m.
So -(148)(.4)= 9 x 10^9 *q_1*q_2 / .7^2
-29.01 = 9 x 10^9 * q_1 *q_2
-3.22 x 10^-9 = q_1 * q_2
-3.22 x 10-9 = (q_1)^2
But how can I take the square root of a negative?

That negative sign doesn't belong there.

Ok so [tex] \sqrt 3.22 x 10^-9 [/tex] = 5.68 x 10^-5.
This isn't right.. am I doing something else wrong?

You solved for q_1, but you are asked to solve for total charge Q. (I didn't check your arithmetic.)

What are charged blocks and spring?

Charged blocks and spring refers to a system in which a charged block is attached to a spring and is able to move along a horizontal surface. The block has a charge q and the spring has a spring constant k.

What is the relationship between the charge of the block and the displacement of the spring?

The displacement of the spring is directly proportional to the charge of the block. This means that as the charge of the block increases, the displacement of the spring also increases.

How does the spring constant affect the system?

The spring constant has a significant impact on the system as it determines the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, which results in a larger displacement of the charged block.

What is the role of Coulomb's Law in this system?

Coulomb's Law plays a crucial role in this system as it describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. In this case, it explains the force between the charged block and any other charged object in the vicinity.

What are some real-life applications of charged blocks and spring?

This system has various applications in the field of physics and engineering. It is commonly used in experiments to study electrostatics and in devices such as electric motors and generators.