Attractive Forces: Understanding Particle Exchange

• Thread starter Sneil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around how the exchange of particles in weak, electromagnetic, and strong interactions can cause an attraction between matter particles. The participants also inquire about the role of gluons in producing a stronger interaction compared to photons in the electromagnetic force. They request resources or explanations to understand the process better, particularly in relation to wave functions in quantum mechanics. One participant shares a link to an article that discusses virtual particles, while another expresses difficulty in grasping the concept of wave functions and their relationship to particle position and probability. The conversation also delves into the possibility of defining wave functions in momentum space, leading to further questions and seeking clarification on the topic.
Sneil
I'm having trouble understanding how the exchange of particles, wether it be in weak, Em, or Stong interactions, can cause an attraction between matter particles. Or how glueons produce such a stonger interaction with the strong force then say photons in the EM force. Can somone post a link or two describing the process or give an expanation? I'm asking this question as a first year undergrad student, so I have no higher education regarding this at all... :uhh:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for that, I had a feeling it was going to be a lot more complicated then to get a simple layman explanation. I guess that's a good thing as I can ask questions and get a (hopefully) deeper understanding of the process. I haven't studied wave functions in QM so I'm having difficulty grasping what they really are. Are they similar to the wave function decribing a classical wave,
ie. SHM in classical physics in a spring?

as in: y(x,t) = A sin [2pi/lambda (x-vt)]

I know complex-numbers are needed for QM wave functions, but is the idea behind them still just a description of the particle's wave motion or position of particle? From what I understand a QM wave is finding the probablility of finding the position of a particle within a possible wave/sinusoidal area..

So, with this statement from the article,
"Suppose, for simplicity, that the charged particles' wave functions are initially Gaussians at rest, that is, normal bell-shaped, real-valued functions, and that they are lined up along the x axis. You can think of the wave functions, schematically, as looking like this:

...... ____ ......... ____
.... /...\ ......./...\ ...x -->
..._/...\_ ...... _/...\_
0 _______/....\_________________/.....\__________"

For me I wouldn't expect the wavefunction to look like half a wave, but in sinusoidal form, that is if my I'm understanding of the wavefunction being a particle's mode of vibration and probability of finding the particle in a definate space is correct...

maybe I'll stop there for now. can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the wave function. Am I at all on the right track at all or a lost cause:tongue: .

I must be a lost cause because this completely throws off my train of thought:
"I can also define wave functions in 'momentum space'" momentum has a wavefunction?:uhh:

sorry for my ignorance, I hope somone can put up with me and take the time to point me in the right direction.:redface:
thanks
Neil

EDIT: sorry i guess it's not that hard for me to find info on the wave function. I'll do some reading and if I have anymore question's regarding that article I'll ask. Thanks again jtbell for the article.

Last edited:

What are attractive forces?

Attractive forces are the interactions between particles that cause them to be drawn towards each other.

What is particle exchange?

Particle exchange is the process by which particles are transferred from one system to another due to attractive forces.

How do attractive forces affect particle behavior?

Attractive forces can influence particle behavior in several ways, such as causing particles to stick together, form clusters, or change their trajectory.

What are the different types of attractive forces?

The most common types of attractive forces include van der Waals forces, dipole-dipole interactions, and hydrogen bonds.

How can understanding attractive forces be useful in scientific research?

Understanding attractive forces is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology as it can help explain and predict the behavior of particles and systems. This knowledge can also be applied in various industries, such as materials science, to develop new products and technologies.