Find a Cheap, Reliable Laser Printer for Home Use

• Thread starter Wailing Fungus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, a laser printer is better for printing images onto heat transfer paper because they have a longer lifespan and don't need to be continually refilled.
Wailing Fungus
I'm tired of injet printers and how the nozzles get clogged and I can't print anything. On top of that I have to waste money on ink.

Can anyone reccomend me a cheap reliable laser printer for home use? I print mostly text files - black and white. It doesn't have to be new - I can get one from ebay.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I bought an HP Laserjet 1012 couple of years ago for about $250. I think the price on them has come down to around $200 now. Cheap, lightweight and fairly compact. Reasonably decent print speed, although I've heard people on other forums say that printing slows down on big print jobs because of heating issues. Then again, if you're printing a lot of big print jobs, you probably want to get something a little more robust.

Toner cartridges are a little on the pricey side at $70 (I've see $60 for remanufactured ones), but they're rated for around 5000 sheets. They've been lasting around a year and a half on my printing load.

Well fellows, I'm not sure which type of printer is best to print images onto heat transfer paper. Please point me to the right direction. Also, what's the difference between "deskjet", "inkjet", and "laser" printers? I see all these different type of models and I'm confuse what makes one different from the other. Can someone tell me what type of inkjet printer is best for printing heat transfer paper?

Wow this thread is a blast from the past.
@Jason: Inkjet printers squirt ink onto paper using heated ink nozzles. Laserjet printers use lasers to cause toner to coat rollers that then put the toner on paper.

For heat transfer you can use either. I don't know if things printed with one will last longer than the other. What I do know is that toner cartridges last much longer than ink cartridges, and with a refill kit a HP laserjet can last almost forever. For these reasons I spent the extra money and bought a used Color Laserjet. I can print all day long and it just keeps going. Inkjets on the other hand don't have the longevity, and you have to constantly refill/replace ink cartriges. Either way, read reviews before you buy anything, and I would recommend that you buy a used printer designed for office use rather than one designed for home use.

I have had an Lexmark for about 7 years without any issues what so ever, we also use them at work. HP's are also up there. The best part is that my next color printer will be a laser since the prices are now reasonable.

1. How can I find a cheap laser printer for home use?

There are a few ways to find a cheap laser printer for home use. One option is to browse online retailers or visit physical stores to compare prices and deals. Another option is to check for sales or discounts from reputable brands. You can also consider purchasing a refurbished or older model, which may be cheaper than newer ones.

2. What features should I consider when looking for a reliable laser printer?

When looking for a reliable laser printer, you should consider factors such as print quality, print speed, connectivity options, and paper handling capabilities. It's also important to consider the cost of replacement toner cartridges and any additional features you may need, such as scanning or copying functionality.

3. Are there any specific brands that are known for producing cheap and reliable laser printers?

While there are many brands that offer affordable and reliable laser printers, some popular options include Brother, HP, Canon, and Epson. It's always a good idea to research and read reviews from other users to determine which brand and model may best suit your needs and budget.

4. Can I use a laser printer for both personal and business purposes?

Yes, you can use a laser printer for both personal and business purposes. However, you may want to consider the specific features and capabilities you need for your business, such as networking or high-volume printing, to ensure you choose a printer that can handle your needs.

5. How important is it to consider the cost of replacement toner cartridges when buying a laser printer?

The cost of replacement toner cartridges is an important factor to consider when buying a laser printer. While some printers may have a lower upfront cost, they may have more expensive toner replacements, which can add up over time. It's important to research and compare the cost of replacement toner for different printers to find the most cost-effective option for your needs.