How to Calculate Capacitance in a Parallel Configuration?

• Thread starter Kenny Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the conversation is about finding the capacitance in a parallel plate capacitor. The person asking for advice has tried using Gauss' law and the formula q = CV, but has gotten the wrong answer. They later realize that they forgot to convert the units. It is mentioned that the correct formula to use is related to epsilon, area, and separation. It is also noted that in a parallel arrangement, the total capacitance is twice what a single side would give. The person asking for advice appreciates any help, big or small, as their exam is coming soon.
Kenny Lee
Hi, I've attached a diagram of the question. The real question reads differently, but I've done my own interpretation. The interpretation might be wrong/ right, but its left me thinking anyway. So, I'd appreciate any advice/ hints on how I might go about finding the capacitance. I have tried it.
I reasoned that the voltage across both segments are the same, due to the 'parallel' configuration, and then attempted to solve one of the pairs' capacitance by taking note of the fact that the charge surface density on one is half the other.
Then I multiplied the result by 2, according to parallel capacitor combinations. I got the wrong answer though.

Its kinda urgent, cause my exam's coming soon. I'd appreciate any advice at all. Small or big. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what formula did you use to find the capacitance?

I used Gauss' law to find the electric field between the plates, then substituted in potential difference E= V/d. After solving for V, I could find C using q = CV.
But my method is most probably wrong... cause, well, the answer's wrong.

I didn't use the formula for parallel plate capacitors because in this case, the charges at each plate is different by a 2 factor.

The formula that Hammie is asking for relates the capacitance to epsilon, area A and separation d. It's a handy formula to have memorized.

You are correct that the total capacitance in this parallel arrangement is twice wha a single side would give, because it is effectively two caps in parallel.

oh thanks. Yea, it is parallel. I forgot to convert the units so I got my answers wrong.

1. What is capacitance and how is it measured?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is calculated by dividing the charge (Q) by the voltage (V), or Q/V.

2. What factors affect the capacitance of a system?

The capacitance of a system is affected by the size and shape of the conductors, the distance between them, and the type of material between them (known as the dielectric).

3. How do I calculate the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the surface area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. Can capacitance be increased?

Yes, capacitance can be increased by increasing the surface area of the conductors, decreasing the distance between them, or using a material with a higher dielectric constant.

5. How is capacitance used in practical applications?

Capacitance is used in many practical applications, such as in electronic circuits, power storage devices (such as batteries and capacitors), and in sensors and transducers.