Exact solutions of Einstein's field equations

In summary, the conversation discusses various links and resources related to exact solutions of Einstein's field equations. One link suggested is a paper which is considered a good start, while another is a recommended dissertation that addresses the topic in an elementary way. The conversation also includes compliments on a website and a warning about potential errors in computer algebra.
Loren Booda
How many have been found, and can you describe them (at least the most significant) in the format provided us below?

Physics news on Phys.org
A great start! Thanks.

Nommos' (Dogon), what a fantasic resource!

Loren, I found your essays hard to understand, but I'll be back!

Perhaps a warning should be posted here: computer algebra is sometimes wrong. Sometimes eyeballing computer algebra results does not catch errors.

Last edited:
Nommos Prime (Dogon),

I found the paper outandbeyond2004 recommended more on my scale of understanding, one of the few dissertations on the web that addresses exact solutions of Einstein's field equations directly and in an elementary way.

I am flattered that both of you would peruse my website - if only half of it were correct, how wonderful I would feel! It is an ongoing and evolving project, of course, under periodic revision.

1. What are exact solutions of Einstein's field equations?

Exact solutions of Einstein's field equations refer to mathematical solutions that satisfy the equations of general relativity without any simplifications or approximations. These solutions provide a precise description of the gravitational field in a given spacetime.

2. Why are exact solutions of Einstein's field equations important?

Exact solutions of Einstein's field equations are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of gravity in different systems, such as black holes, gravitational waves, and the expanding universe. They also serve as a basis for testing the validity of general relativity and exploring alternative theories of gravity.

3. How are exact solutions of Einstein's field equations obtained?

Exact solutions of Einstein's field equations are typically obtained through mathematical methods, such as solving differential equations or using symmetry properties. These solutions require a deep understanding of mathematical physics and advanced techniques in differential geometry and tensor calculus.

4. What are some well-known exact solutions of Einstein's field equations?

Some well-known exact solutions of Einstein's field equations include the Schwarzschild solution, which describes the spacetime around a non-rotating spherical mass, and the Kerr solution, which describes the spacetime around a rotating black hole. Other examples include the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker metric, which describes the expanding universe, and the Reissner-Nordström solution, which describes a charged black hole.

5. Are there any unresolved problems with exact solutions of Einstein's field equations?

While exact solutions of Einstein's field equations have been instrumental in our understanding of gravity, there are still many unresolved problems. For example, there is currently no exact solution that describes the interior of a black hole or the behavior of gravity at the quantum level. Additionally, some exact solutions may not accurately describe the real world, and further research is needed to refine and expand upon these solutions.