Radian and Degree with Graphing Calculator

In summary, the conversation is about converting angles from radians to degrees and vice versa on a TI-83 Plus graphing calculator. Different methods including using the "mode" button, dividing by 57.3, and taking the sine and inverse sine are discussed.
vertciel
Hello everyone,

I use a TI-83 Plus and I'd like to know if there is a quick way to convert an angle from radian to degree and vice versa. I am not referring to multiplying by (pi/180) or (180/pi).

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hit mode, it's at the top next to the 2nd button, and switch from radian to degree.

Thanks for your reply.

I actually wanted to ask whether the graphing calculator can convert a number to either radians or degrees. For example, if I typed in 145, would it be possible to press a few buttons to get the equivalent radian measure?

vertciel said:
For example, if I typed in 145, would it be possible to press a few buttons to get the equivalent radian measure?
You have already mentioned one way of doing it, and matticus posted another. Here's another way: Divide by 57.3 (approx.). [This is essentially the same as multiplying by pi/180]

vertciel said:
Thanks for your reply.

I actually wanted to ask whether the graphing calculator can convert a number to either radians or degrees. For example, if I typed in 145, would it be possible to press a few buttons to get the equivalent radian measure?

If your mode is set to radians

type in your angle in degrees and then go to angle -> the degree symbol and I think it outputs the answer in radians

If your mode is set to degrees

tyoe in your angle in radians to go to angle -> the radian symbol (little "r") and I think it outputs the answer in radians

Here's the "hard way"! To convert degrees to radians, set the mode to "degrees", and take the sine of the number. Now set the mode to "radians" and take the inverse sine!

What is the difference between a radian and a degree?

A radian and a degree are both units of measurement for angles. A degree is a unit of measurement that divides a circle into 360 equal parts, while a radian is a unit of measurement that divides a circle into 2π (approximately 6.28) equal parts. In other words, a radian is a more precise measurement for angles.

How do I convert radians to degrees and vice versa?

To convert radians to degrees, you can use the formula: degrees = radians * (180/π). To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula: radians = degrees * (π/180). Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator to convert between the two units by selecting the "radians" or "degrees" function.

Can I graph angles in radians and degrees on a graphing calculator?

Yes, most graphing calculators have the option to graph angles in both radians and degrees. This can be done by selecting the "radians" or "degrees" option in the settings or by using the appropriate function (e.g. "sin" for radians and "sin⁻¹" for degrees).

What are the common uses of radians and degrees in scientific calculations?

Radians are often used in mathematical calculations involving trigonometric functions, such as finding the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle. Degrees are commonly used in everyday life to measure angles, but they are also used in scientific calculations, particularly in engineering and navigation.

Is it better to use radians or degrees for graphing functions?

This depends on the context and personal preference. Radians are often preferred for graphing trigonometric functions because they are a more precise unit of measurement. However, for everyday use, degrees may be more convenient and easier to understand. Ultimately, it is important to be able to convert between the two units and use them appropriately in different situations.