Proving x*delta' ~ -delta with Generalized Functions

• Thread starter aphrodasic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: But you don't need to know what delta''(x) is; you just need to apply the definition of the derivative of a generalized function!In summary, to prove the equation x* (delta)' ~ -delta, where delta is the dirac delta function of x, the concept of generalized functions can be used. This involves multiplying the LHS of the equation with a good function and taking limits to infinity to get the RHS. However, using the definition of the derivative of a generalized function, the identity can be proven without the need for integration by parts. Simply setting u = delta' and v = x in the definition, the equation can be shown to be true for all test functions f.
aphrodasic
hi
can anyone tell me how could one go about to prove
x* (delta)' ~ -delta

where delta is the dirac delta funtion of x.
~ approximately equal

delta' = first derivative of delta

i know this can be done by using the concept of GENERALISED FUNTIONS.
WHICH INVOLVES MUTLIPLYING THE LHS OF THE EQUATION WITH A GOOD FUNCTION and taking limits to infinity to get the RHS..
I tried but there is something wrong.
can anyone help me out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of the derivative of a generalized function?

In the one I'm most familiar with, the definition of the derivative of a generalized function [itex]\varphi[/itex], its that it's the generalized function satisfying
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \varphi'(x) f(x) \, dx
=
-\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \varphi(x) f'(x) \, dx
[/tex]
for all test functions f.

yes, that is the correct defination.

So, your identity
[tex]x \delta'(x) = -\delta(x)[/tex]
is true if and only if
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x \delta'(x) f(x) \, dx =
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} (-\delta(x)) f(x) \, dx = -f(0)
[/tex]
for all test functions f, right? So what did you get when you used the definition of derivative?

i expanded the LHS of your equation using PArts.
where u = x(delta') and v = f
and i got stuck.
i am still not able to trace the steps which you did to land on to the expression which you posted in the previous step.

Isn't one of the important points in doing integration by parts that you choose something to be du/dx, and the other part to be v? Setting u= somthing and v=something seems lke you're not sure how to integrate by parts.

There is clearly only one choice to make for du/dx...

i am still not able to trace the steps which you did to land on to the expression which you posted in the previous step.
I was simply restating what you needed to prove, not actually providing a proof.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with IBP; if you were setting [itex]u = x \delta'(x)[/itex] and [itex]v = f(x)[/itex], that would allow you to do something with
[tex]\int u \, dv = \int f'(x) \delta'(x) x \, dx[/tex]
but it wouldn't help at all when the integrand is [itex]\delta'(x) x f(x) \, dx[/itex].

Did you try applying the definition of the derivative of a generalized function?
(This is equivalent to formally doing integration by parts with a certain choice, but I find it easier to think about by treating it as a rule in of itself)

Last edited:
yes i used the defination of the GF,
taking u = delta'*f'; v = x
and solving the integral gives me zero. something is going wrong..

i was wondering can i use the following defination for delta function
delta = n/(pi)^.5 *exp (-(n*x)^2)
having done this i can get my answer.
but i do not know if this is correct?

Huh? There are no u's and v's in the definition I quoted...

I agree with matt's assessment, though; you seem to have forgotten integration by parts. If you want to use integration by parts here, I really think it would be worthwhile to reopen your calculus textbook and do some integration by parts exercises before proceeding with this problem.

i am not sure what is going wrong here..
integral u(x)v(x) dx = u(x)integral v(x) - integral( (derivative u(x)) (integral v(x)) )
where u(x) = something and v(x) = somethign else.

but anyways, i solved my way through the problem, if only i can replace delta by the defination of gaussian functions delta= n/(pi)^.5 *exp (-(n*x)^2) where n--> infinity.
i get my result

aphrodasic said:
i am not sure what is going wrong here..
integral u(x)v(x) dx = u(x)integral v(x) - integral( (derivative u(x)) (integral v(x)) )
where u(x) = something and v(x) = somethign else.
You use a different notation for IBP than I've ever seen. I'm used to:
[tex]\int u(x) v'(x) \, dx = u(x) v(x) - \int u'(x) v(x) \, dx[/tex]
So your v is my v'.

Anyways, it's clear why your attempts at integration by parts isn't working: you have no idea what delta''(x) is, so it doesn't help to differentiate delta'(x).

Last edited:

1. What are generalized functions?

Generalized functions, also known as distributions, are mathematical objects that extend the concept of a function to include objects that are not traditionally considered functions. They are often used in the study of partial differential equations and can be thought of as a way to represent functions that are not necessarily continuous or differentiable.

2. What is the significance of proving x*delta' ~ -delta with generalized functions?

This type of proof is important because it demonstrates the relationship between a function and its derivative in the context of generalized functions. It also shows how generalized functions can be used to represent functions that are not typically considered differentiable.

3. How is this proof different from traditional proofs involving functions and derivatives?

In traditional proofs, functions and their derivatives are considered to be well-behaved and follow certain rules. However, in the context of generalized functions, these rules may not always hold true. This proof takes into account the unique properties of generalized functions and shows how they can be used to represent functions and their derivatives.

4. Can this proof be applied to other types of functions?

Yes, this proof can be applied to other types of functions, as long as they can be represented as generalized functions. However, the specific relationship between the function and its derivative may differ depending on the nature of the function.

5. What are some real-world applications of this proof?

This proof has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of wave phenomena and signal processing. It can also be useful in solving problems involving differential equations and other mathematical models that involve generalized functions.