Area Of The Surface Of Revolution

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for finding the surface area of a rotating object, where the formula for rotation about the x-axis is incorrect and leads to the wrong answer. The correct formula is found by substituting the values for x and y in the equation, and taking into account the absolute value of cos(t). Using symmetry, the integral is calculated and the mistake is corrected. The conversation also mentions a mistake in the y-expression, which is corrected in the formula.
Mattofix
I have tried this question (http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9539/scan0001pa1.png) a number of times and always use the formula

S = 2*pi*int( y*sqrt( (dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2 ) dt

i always get S=6*pi*a^2[1/5*(sin t)^5] 0<t<pi, and because sin 0 = 0 and sin pi = 0 the answer i get is 0. If you were to replace the y in the equation with x then i get the correct answer but that would not be the formula for rotation about the x-axis.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
x= a cos3(t), y= a sin3(t) so x'= 3a cos2(t)sin(t) and y'= a sin2(t)cos(t). x'2+ y'2= 9a2 cos4(t)sin2(t)+ 9a2 sin4(t)cos2(t). Factoring out 9a2 cos2(t)sin2(t) leaves cos2(t)+ sin2(t)= 1.
[tex]\sqrt{x'^2+ y'^2}= \sqrt{9a^2 cos^2(t)sin^2(t)}= 3a cos(t)sin(t)[/tex]
[tex]y\sqrt{x'^2+ y'^2= 3a^2 cos(t)sin^2(t)[/tex]
After substitution, I get
[tex]6\pi a^2\int_{-\pi}^{pi}(sin^2(t)cos(t)) dt[/tex]

You are right- the substitution u= sin(t) gives u= 0 at both points.

Aha! I think I see the problem. cos(t), for t> [itex]\pi/2[/itex], is negative. The square root of cos2(t) is NOT cos(t) for t> [itex]\pi/2[/itex]! More generally, [itex]\sqrt{x^2}= |x|[/itex], not x.

Use symmetry. integrate from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. That will give you a positive value. Because the integral from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] is 0, the integral from [itex]\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]pi[/itex] must be the negative of that (you can, if you wish, integrate and see). The true value of the integral from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], using absolute value, must be twice the integral from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. And, of course, the actual surface area, the integral from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex], is 4 times the integral from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

Hmm..we should use absolute value signs here!

Thereby, we get the integral:
[tex]6a^{2}\pi\int_{0}^{\pi}\sin^{4}(t)|\cos(t)|dt[/tex]
where I have utilized that sin(t) is positive on the entire interval.

EDIT:
Okay, Halls found the flaw as well..:smile:

I just type faster!

Thanks guys, i totally understand it now :smile:

I'm glad YOU do!

and you dont...? how come?

Last edited:
I think Halls is flabbergasted as to why he forgot the absolute value sign in the first place!

Besides, in his expression, he mistakenly used y=asin(t), rather than the correct third power of sine in the y-expression.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Besides, in his expression, he mistakenly used y=asin(t), rather than the correct third power of sine in the y-expression.

... and that would keep on giving him the wrong answer therefore not understanding it?

I think he was merely angered at himself for making a dumb mistake, that's all.

Unfortunately, that happens a lot!

What is the "area of the surface of revolution"?

The area of the surface of revolution is the total surface area of a three-dimensional shape that is created when a two-dimensional shape is rotated around an axis. This concept is often used in mathematics and physics to calculate the surface area of objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

How do you calculate the area of the surface of revolution?

To calculate the area of the surface of revolution, you can use the formula A=2πrh, where A is the surface area, r is the radius of the base of the shape being rotated, and h is the height of the shape. This formula can be used for both regular and irregular shapes, as long as they are revolved around an axis.

What is the difference between the area of the surface of revolution and the volume of the solid of revolution?

The area of the surface of revolution refers to the total surface area of the resulting three-dimensional shape, while the volume of the solid of revolution refers to the amount of space enclosed by the shape. In other words, the surface area is the outside of the shape, while the volume is the inside.

Can the area of the surface of revolution be negative?

No, the area of the surface of revolution cannot be negative. This is because surface area is a measure of the amount of space that a shape occupies, and space cannot have a negative value. If you get a negative result when calculating the area of the surface of revolution, it is likely due to an error in your calculation.

What are some real-life applications of the area of the surface of revolution?

The area of the surface of revolution has many practical applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and product design. For example, it can be used to calculate the surface area of a cylindrical tank, the amount of paint needed to cover a curved surface, or the surface area of a bottle or container. It is also used in calculus to solve problems related to volumes of irregular shapes.