Solder Size Guide for SMT/Through-Hole Components

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of solder for a used Metcal iron for surface mount and through hole soldering. The recommended sizes are Kester 0.010" for SMT parts and 0.025" for standard through-hole parts, with potential sources being Digikey or Mouser. The individual is also interested in finding cheaper options.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm going to be buying some solder for a used Metcal iron I won on e-Bay but I'm not sure what size solder I should get. I'm planning on doing mostly surface mount soldering of MSOP, SOIC, and 0805 sized components. I will have a few through hole components to solder (like cap leads, headers, and a few DIP sockets. What would you all recommend for solder wire sizes? Also, do any of you have any favorite sources for cheap rolls? I'm interested in getting one or two 1lb spools of it in a couple different sizes.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
We use Kester 0.010" solder for SMT parts (too small for regular through-hole parts), and Kester 0.025" for standard through-hole parts (too big for most SMT work). Probably just Digikey or Mouser would be an okay place to buy from. I don't know offhand if there are any cheaper places available.

Thanks for the tips :smile:.

1. What is the purpose of a solder size guide for SMT/Through-Hole components?

A solder size guide is a tool used to determine the appropriate amount of solder needed for attaching surface mount technology (SMT) and through-hole components to a circuit board. It ensures that the right amount of solder is used to create strong and reliable connections between components and the board.

2. How do I use a solder size guide?

To use a solder size guide, first identify the component you want to solder. Then, locate the corresponding component footprint on the guide. The guide will provide you with recommended solder dimensions, including the diameter and length, for that specific component. This information can then be used to adjust your soldering process accordingly.

3. Are there different solder size guides for SMT and through-hole components?

Yes, there are different solder size guides for SMT and through-hole components. This is because these two types of components require different amounts of solder due to their different sizes and attachment methods. It is important to use the correct guide for the specific components you are soldering.

4. Can I use a solder size guide for any type of circuit board?

While solder size guides are helpful for most circuit boards, it is important to note that they may not be necessary for all types of boards. Some boards may have very specific requirements for soldering, and in these cases, it is best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. However, a solder size guide can still serve as a helpful starting point for determining the appropriate amount of solder to use.

5. What happens if I use the wrong solder size for a component?

If you use a solder size that is too small for a component, the connection may not be strong enough and could potentially fail. On the other hand, using a solder size that is too large can result in excess solder, which can create shorts or bridges between components. It is important to follow the recommendations on the solder size guide to ensure proper and reliable connections between components and the circuit board.