What Should I Know About Information Technology, Information Systems, and Computer Science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between Information Technology, Information Systems, and Management Information Systems. It is mentioned that MIS and IST are considered "easier" majors than Computer Science, but can still lead to well-paying management positions. Comp Sci is seen as more hardcore programming and design, with the most options and opportunities. However, in the real world, Comp Sci majors are often seen as programmers and software architects, while MIS and IST majors may have more hands-on programming experience.
rkm-87
Hi ,

How are you??

I would like to inquire about these questions:

what is Information technology??

What is the difference between information technology and Information system??

What is the most company need:Information technology-computer science-Information System-MIS??

Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Please give me your opinion

Depends what you want to do...

Information Systems Technology(IST)/Management Information Systems (MIS) are "easier" majors than Computer Science.

MIS you can get more into a mangement position like business anlaysis/project manager so good money there but if you don't get the right skills/contacts you'll be in a more low level paying bracket from what I've seen/heard from my friends, same with IST, if you get into the right company you'll be fine but if your up against a Comp Sci major, your in trouble.

Really it depends on the school on the definition of IT/IST/MIS
In general IT/IST is more like web design/network admin
MIS is more business oriented but still gives you expeirence in programming
Comp Sci is more hardcore programming/design/some CE/EE as well <--- youll have most options as a comp sci
A Comp Sci can do a MIS/IST/IT job easier than a the other way around but if it was up to me and pay wasn't an issue I'd rather do IST/MIS because they do more hands on programming and less theory.

But it seems like in the real world you'll see comp sci's as the programmers/software architects and IST majors doing more trouble shooting hardware/setting up servers (more like a tech guy)

Last edited:

What is information technology?

Information technology (IT) is the use of computers, software, and telecommunications equipment to store, retrieve, transmit, and manipulate data. It includes the design, development, implementation, and management of these technologies.

What are the different types of information technology?

There are various types of information technology, including computer hardware, software, networks, and databases. Other types include cloud computing, artificial intelligence, and cybersecurity.

What are the benefits of information technology?

Information technology has many benefits, such as improving efficiency and productivity, facilitating communication and collaboration, and providing access to a vast amount of information. It also enables automation, data analysis, and decision-making.

What are the potential risks of information technology?

Some potential risks of information technology include cyber threats, such as hacking and data breaches, which can compromise sensitive information. It can also lead to job displacement and privacy concerns.

How can I stay updated with the latest information technology?

To stay updated with the latest information technology, you can read industry publications and websites, attend conferences and workshops, and participate in online courses and forums. Networking with other IT professionals can also help you stay updated on industry trends and advancements.