Ammonia and polycarbonate reaction

In summary: They will likely be able to help you out and ensure proper disposal of the bottles of 2M NH3 in polycarbonate. In summary, accidental storage of 2M NH3 in polycarbonate bottles has resulted in the production of white crystals and a brown suspension. The possible products could include a red amine conjugated compound and ammonium carbonate. Disposal should be done through chemical waste services as it can be expensive. It is recommended to contact the safety officer for assistance in proper disposal.
likeachild
I accidentally stored some 2M NH3 in polycarbonate bottles , and now they're toast. It produced some white crystals and a brown suspension. I've done a little Googling and haven't found what the possible products are. Do you know what they could be? I am mostly concerned about disposal, and of course, any time I see crystals precipitate from ammonia solutions I'm a little worried.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Polycarbonates have carbonyl groups , ammonia may have nucleophilically attached itself and thus cut the polymer chain and produce some type of a red amine conjugated compound. The white precipitate may be ammonium carbonate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_carbonate

The following is an MSDS for Ammonium Carbonate

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/a5688.htm

I would dispose of it in a HMIS labeled container and have it picked up by chemical waste services although this can be expensive. Are you asking this question as applied to an industrial setting?

not industry..just a couple bottles from the lab.

thanks for the information. I'm going to try calling the chemical supply company too

likeachild said:
not industry..just a couple bottles from the lab.

thanks for the information. I'm going to try calling the chemical supply company too

On a practical point, just call your safety officer, or whoever is in charge of chemical waste disposal, and explain the situation to them and that you need assistance in determining how to dispose of the resultant product. Most of the time, these people are so bored with their jobs that they just live for challenges like this.

1. What is the chemical reaction between ammonia and polycarbonate?

The chemical reaction between ammonia and polycarbonate is a nucleophilic substitution, where the ammonia molecule replaces one of the chlorine atoms in the polycarbonate molecule. This results in the formation of an amide group and a release of hydrochloric acid.

2. What are the products of the ammonia and polycarbonate reaction?

The products of the reaction are an amide compound and hydrochloric acid. Amide compounds are commonly used in the production of plastics, while hydrochloric acid is a strong acid that is commonly used in industrial processes.

3. What are the applications of the ammonia and polycarbonate reaction?

The reaction between ammonia and polycarbonate is commonly used in the production of polyurethane foams, resins, and coatings. It is also used in the production of nylon, which is a commonly used plastic in various industries.

4. Is the ammonia and polycarbonate reaction dangerous?

The reaction between ammonia and polycarbonate can be dangerous if not properly controlled. Ammonia is a toxic gas and can cause respiratory irritation, while polycarbonate can release harmful fumes when heated. It is important to follow safety precautions and use proper protective equipment when handling these chemicals.

5. Can the ammonia and polycarbonate reaction be reversed?

The ammonia and polycarbonate reaction is generally irreversible, as the products formed are stable compounds. However, the reaction can be slowed down or stopped by adjusting the temperature, concentration, or using catalysts. It is not possible to completely reverse the reaction and retrieve the original reactants.