The Spectral Theorem for Unbounded Operators in Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter mrandersdk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Theorem
In summary, the article discusses the resolution of the identity for selfadjoint operators in a Hilbert space. They state that this resolution is unique and that it is obtained pointwise by taking the inner product with a bra and a ket. They also mention that this theorem can be generalized to other operators.
mrandersdk
On wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borel_functional_calculus in the paragraf 'Resolution of the identity' there is said

'In physics literature, using the above as heuristic, one passes to the case when the spectral measure is no longer discrete and write the resolution of identity as ... '

How is this made rigorous. I had had a course in C*-algebras and proven the spectral theorem for bounded operators, I know most of physical are unbounded, but there must be a connection?

How is it constructed such that

[tex] I = \int_{\sigma (I)} \lambda d E(\lambda) [/tex]

makes sence. I guess somehow taking the inner product with a bra and a ket should get me something like

[tex] <\phi|T|\psi> = \int <\phi|x><x|T|\psi> dx [/tex]

so comparing this with

[tex] <\phi|T|\psi> = <\phi| \int_{\sigma (I)} \lambda d E(\lambda) T |\psi>[/tex]

how do I revieve the lebesgue measure, from the resolution of identity, and see that this is the same, if it even is. I hope it is clear what my problem is?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might find this reference handy. In particular, appendix B section 6.5 defines this integral to be computed 'pointwise':

THEOREM: A selfadjoint operator [itex]A[/itex] in a Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] possesses a unique spectral resolution [itex]\{ E_\alpha \}[/itex] such that
[tex]A = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \alpha dE_\alpha,[/tex]​
meaning that for each [itex]\psi[/itex] in the domain [itex]\mathcal{D}_A[/itex] one has the convergent Stieltjes integral
[tex](\psi, A\psi) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \alpha d(\psi, E_\alpha\psi).[/tex]​

This seems very interesting. They state a new form of the theorem, saying that you actually get a Stieltjes-Lebesgue integral when taking the iner product.

And as a example the make the spectral projections for X, so it makes sence. Have I understood it right.

Do you any refferences where they proof this form of the spectral theorem, and where they explaine why the spectral projection fx of X is

[tex] (E_{x_0}\psi)(x) = \psi(x) [/tex]

and why this leads to

[tex] d(\psi,E_{x}\psi)= ||\psi(x)||^2 dx [/tex]

and can this be made general to

[tex] d(\phi,E_{x}\psi)= \phi^*(x) \psi(x) dx [/tex].

And maybe how the spectral projection is calculated for other operators.

1. What is the spectral theorem in quantum mechanics?

The spectral theorem in quantum mechanics is a mathematical tool that allows us to analyze and understand the properties of operators, such as observables, in a quantum system. It states that any self-adjoint operator can be decomposed into a linear combination of eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors.

2. How is the spectral theorem applied in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the spectral theorem is used to determine the possible outcomes of a measurement of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum. By finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator corresponding to that quantity, we can calculate the probability of obtaining a particular measurement result.

3. What is the significance of the spectral theorem in quantum mechanics?

The spectral theorem is significant in quantum mechanics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system and verify those predictions through measurements. It also provides a mathematical foundation for many important concepts in quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement.

4. What are the limitations of the spectral theorem in quantum mechanics?

One limitation of the spectral theorem in quantum mechanics is that it only applies to self-adjoint operators, which represent physically observable quantities. It cannot be used for non-self-adjoint operators, such as those representing time evolution, which are also important in quantum mechanics.

5. How does the spectral theorem relate to other mathematical concepts in quantum mechanics?

The spectral theorem is closely related to other mathematical concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It is also connected to other mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics, such as linear algebra and functional analysis, which help us understand the behavior of quantum systems and make predictions about their properties.