Balancing Redox Reactions: How to Determine Half Reactions and Oxidation Numbers

In summary, the conversation is about balancing the equation Fe+2 + Cr2O-27--->Fe+3 + Cr+3. The first part of the equation is correctly balanced, but there is confusion about how to balance the second part involving Cr2O7. One suggestion is to use the reaction with acid, but there is no acid present in this equation. Another suggestion is to use 2CrO4(2-) instead of 2Cr+72O-27. The correct notation for balancing equations is also discussed.
MaxNumbers
I'm not sure how to balance this equation with regards to the half reaction and electrons, as well as the elements:

Fe+2 + Cr2O-27--->Fe+3 + Cr+3

Right now, I've gotten this far, though I don't know if it's the right track:

Fe+2 + 2Cr+72O-27--->Fe+3 + 4Cr+3 + 7O-22

What should I do next?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My first post was totally wrong so here's a revamp.

Fe+2 + Cr2O-27--->Fe+3 + Cr+3

Ok well here's one part..

[tex]Fe^{2+} \rightarrow Fe^{3+} + e^-[/tex]

I can't figure out what happens with the Cr2O7. It usually reacts with acid, like this:

[tex]Cr_2O_7 ^{2-} + 14H^+ + 6e^- \rightarrow 2Cr^{3+} + 7H_2O[/tex]

But there's no acid so that ain't it.

Another thing is that I'm not sure your second equation works out.

Fe+2 + 2Cr+72O-27--->Fe+3 + 4Cr+3 + 7O-22

The charges are not the same on both sides.

Last edited:
Maybe it should be 2CrO4(2-)? I noticed that on a website...Still can't figure it out though. It's pissing me off. :mad:

ShawnD, that answered my question exactly. I wasn't sure how the notation worked, as far as just throwing the correct number of H+ and so forth.
Thanks. :wink:

1. What are oxidation numbers?

Oxidation numbers, also known as oxidation states, are a way to keep track of the distribution of electrons in a molecule or ion. They indicate whether an element has lost or gained electrons in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you determine the oxidation number of an element?

The oxidation number of an element can be determined by following a set of rules. Generally, the oxidation number of an element in its elemental form is 0. For ions, the oxidation number is equal to the charge of the ion. For atoms in a molecule, the oxidation number depends on the electronegativity of the elements and the overall charge of the molecule.

3. Why is balancing oxidation numbers important?

Balancing oxidation numbers is important because it helps to track the transfer of electrons in a chemical reaction. It ensures that the total charge of the reactants and products remains the same, and that the reaction obeys the law of conservation of charge. This is necessary for a balanced and accurate chemical equation.

4. What are some common methods for balancing oxidation numbers?

There are several methods for balancing oxidation numbers, including the half-reaction method, the oxidation number change method, and the ion-electron method. Each method involves assigning oxidation numbers to all elements in the reaction and then balancing the numbers on both sides of the equation by adding or subtracting electrons or whole equations.

5. Can oxidation numbers ever be fractional?

Yes, oxidation numbers can be fractional in some cases. This usually occurs when there is a partial transfer of electrons between elements in a molecule. It is important to remember that fractional oxidation numbers do not represent actual electron counts, but rather a mathematical representation of the distribution of electrons.