Cant change my desktop background anymore

In summary, the system was infected with a virus or spyware and when the user started the computer, a warning screen popped up saying that spyware had been detected. The user tried to change the background but was told the feature had been disabled. The user then found a program called C:/users/kyle/appdata/local/temp/.tt9d28.tmp.vbs and deleted it. The user also tried to find the file but was unsuccessful. The user then tried to contact the user but was unsuccessful. The user then tried to restore the system but was unsuccessful.
blimkie.k
Hello all,

My system was infected with sometype of virus or spyware. When i start my coputer the desktop is a while screen with a window in the the middle that says "Warning spyware detected on your computer" the spyware it says was deteced are win32/adware/.virumonde and win32/privacy remover.m64. Its just an image its not clickable but when i try to change my desktop background it says the featue has been disabled.

Im running windows vista when it starts it a program called C:/users/kyle/appdata/local/temp/.tt9d28.tmp.vbs. I don't alow it to run. I have been unableto locate this file howeveri deleted the files from which i believe it came from. No luck wth mcafee either. I need soe serious help on this one folks.

-Blimkie

Computer science news on Phys.org
infections are gone now but still can't change the background its all blue now, guess ill hve to reformat my HD :(

I've fixed this problem many times on client machines; I used an offline editor (basically booting from CD but able to load and edit the Windows registry, ie., Ultimate Boot CD) to remove the registry entries and dll files that were causing the problem. Basically, don't let anything start at startup other than vital Windows services (once, the main activity was even threaded off of a Brother printer driver) and check your userinit registry key.
If you are not experienced with registry editing, I suggest downloading and running HijackThis, and posting the log with a report of your problems at http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22 or http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_Logs_and_Infections_Removal_f27.html . The users there are experienced in virus and spyware removal and will give specific instructions on your particular log.
However, the most convenient solution is indeed a system restore.

1. Why am I unable to change my desktop background?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a software or system glitch, a setting that needs to be adjusted, or a virus or malware on your computer. It's important to troubleshoot the issue to determine the specific cause.

2. How can I troubleshoot the issue?

Start by checking your computer's settings to make sure the option to change your desktop background is enabled. If it is, try restarting your computer or using a different image for your background. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to run a virus scan or reinstall your operating system.

3. Can a virus or malware cause this issue?

Yes, a virus or malware can affect various aspects of your computer, including the ability to change your desktop background. It's important to regularly run virus scans and keep your operating system and security software up to date to prevent these issues.

4. I recently updated my operating system and now I can't change my desktop background. What should I do?

It's possible that the update caused a glitch or changed your computer's settings. Try restarting your computer and checking the settings again. If the issue persists, you may need to contact the operating system provider for further assistance.

5. Is there a way to change my desktop background without using the computer's settings?

Yes, there are third-party software programs available that allow you to change your desktop background. However, it's important to make sure the program is reputable and doesn't contain any viruses or malware that could further affect your computer. It's always best to troubleshoot the issue with your computer's settings first.

Back