PS3 May Be In Trouble = A Cheaper SP3

• Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
In summary: It's kind of ridiculous.In summary, Nielsen reports that high-definition (HD) media market share increased for the week ending September 21st. This is likely due to the recent deals between Sony and Microsoft to promote Blu-Ray.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Since it's in trouble with respect to profits do any of you predict a cheaper PS3? Could they actually make a profit with a cheaper than $ 400 PS3? Considering the fact that Blu Ray players themselves are $ 300 ... probably not.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/956782

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Maybe, but then the profit may not be from the sale of the actual console...

NO kidding. they could give away the consoles and probably not see a dent in their bottom line. Considering that more people would be buying games

Sony has been in a lot of trouble even since before the PS3 came out. They decided to amp up the processing power of the system fairly high making it rather expensive considering the components alone. This was supposed to outdo XBox, which it technically does, but the problem is developers may or may not be able to take full advantage of the system's full capabilities. So long as the games are only on par with XBox and occasionally somewhat better what's the reason to purchase the more expensive console? Fewer game developers, particularly larger companies, are willing to maintain exclusive contracts now as well so there is less likelihood there will be many popular games you can only get on one system. BluRay was a big gamble for them too since they had no idea whether or not it would become a standard or die out. So far I don't think it has caught on strongly enough.

XBox 360 came out long before PS3 and microsoft has already made the money they needed off the box and can afford to continually bring down the price and undercut Sony. I'm pretty sure their box is much cheaper component-wise aswell.

I was pretty psyched about the PS3, but it didnt really catch on. One reason around here is that you can get a lot of pirated game cd's for the XBox 360 and you can't get those for the PS3. Its easier to stomach a cd for about $1 than a $40-$90 cd.

I was under the impression that Sony having won the format wars will be in quite a good position financially. I still prefer it and it is worth the hefty price tag. Compared to the other competition it is something quite other worldly.

TheStatutoryApe said:
BluRay was a big gamble for them too since they had no idea whether or not it would become a standard or die out. So far I don't think it has caught on strongly enough.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/09/21/nielsen-videoscan-high-def-market-share-for-week-ending-septembe/

Also, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PALZE0/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I think we'll start seeing a lot more deals like this in the coming months across the industry to try and increase BD's market share.

The funniest part of all this lately is the joint marketing campaign for BD by Sony and Microsoft. They're giving away BD disks in the Oct issue of Wired while promoting Vaio and Vista.

1. What is the PS3 and why is it in trouble?

The PS3 (PlayStation 3) is a gaming console created by Sony. It is in trouble because sales have been declining and it faces competition from other gaming consoles.

2. How much does a PS3 cost?

The original price for a PS3 was $499 for the 20GB version and $599 for the 60GB version. However, the price has since been reduced and can vary depending on the retailer.

3. What is meant by a "cheaper PS3"?

A cheaper PS3 refers to a price reduction for the console, making it more affordable for consumers. This could potentially attract more buyers and improve sales for Sony.

4. Will a cheaper PS3 affect its quality or performance?

No, a price reduction does not necessarily mean a decrease in quality or performance. It may just mean that the company is adjusting their pricing strategy to better compete in the market.

5. How will a cheaper PS3 impact the gaming industry?

A cheaper PS3 may attract more buyers and increase competition among gaming consoles. It could also potentially lead to more affordable prices for other gaming consoles in order to stay competitive. However, the impact on the industry as a whole is uncertain and will likely depend on consumer response to the price reduction.