Human Glycosylases: UNG, SMUG1, MBD4, TDG & More

• Thread starter bioquest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of other human glycosylases besides those listed in a book on DNA repair and mutagenesis. It is mentioned that there may be new discoveries and the website http://expasy.org may be helpful in finding up-to-date information.
bioquest
Hi I was wondering, if there were any human glycosylases,
other than these, I got this list from DNA repair and mutagenesis, Friedberg EC, Walker GC, Siede W, Wood RD, Schultz RA, Ellenberger T (2006) ASM Press, Washington, DC.

UNG
SMUG1
MBD4
TDG
OGG1
MYH
NTHL1
MPG
NEIL1
NEIL2
NEIL3
UDG2

But others may have been discovered since the list so I was wondering if they have been and if so which ones were, thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
For known, up-to-date annotated protein sequences, I would suggest checking http://expasy.org" [Broken] may also be useful in keeping one's self up to date on the latest sequence information, especially if there are putative proteins that have been identified in the nucleotide sequence.

Happy searching!

Last edited by a moderator:
!

Hello, thank you for your question. The list you provided from the book "DNA repair and mutagenesis" is a comprehensive list of known human glycosylases as of 2006. Since then, there have been several new human glycosylases that have been discovered and studied. Some examples include SMUG2, TDG, and MBD5. Additionally, there have been new insights into the functions of previously known glycosylases such as NEIL1 and OGG1. These discoveries have expanded our understanding of DNA repair processes and their implications in human health and diseases. I recommend checking out recent research articles in this field for a more updated list and information on these glycosylases.

1. What are human glycosylases?

Human glycosylases are enzymes that play a key role in the repair of damaged DNA by recognizing and removing incorrect or damaged nucleotides. They are essential for maintaining the integrity and stability of the human genome.

2. What are some common human glycosylases?

Some common human glycosylases include uracil-DNA glycosylase (UNG), single-strand-selective monofunctional uracil-DNA glycosylase 1 (SMUG1), methyl-CpG-binding domain protein 4 (MBD4), and thymine-DNA glycosylase (TDG).

3. What is the function of these glycosylases?

The main function of human glycosylases is to identify and remove damaged or incorrect nucleotides from DNA. This process is essential for maintaining the accuracy of DNA replication and preventing mutations that can lead to diseases such as cancer.

4. How do these glycosylases work?

Each glycosylase has a specific recognition and binding mechanism for damaged or incorrect nucleotides. Once bound, they use their enzymatic activity to remove the damaged base and create an opening in the DNA strand. This gap is then filled by other repair mechanisms to restore the correct sequence.

5. Are human glycosylases implicated in any diseases?

Yes, mutations in genes encoding for human glycosylases have been linked to several diseases, including colorectal cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, and immunodeficiency disorders. Defects in these enzymes can lead to an accumulation of DNA damage and an increased risk of developing these diseases.

Back