HELP Initial Value Problem Question-Differential Equations and Euler's Method

In summary, the student is struggling with using Euler's method to solve an initial value problem involving a differential equation. They have correctly identified the need for Euler's method and have attempted to solve the problem using separation of variables, but there may be a mistake in their integration. They will need to solve for the value of C using the given initial condition and then use Euler's method with a chosen step size to approximate the solution at the given values of t.
spazticbutter
URGENT HELP! Initial Value Problem Question-Differential Equations and Euler's Method

Homework Statement

This is just an extension of an earlier thread. I see now that they want me to use Euler's method so it might change the way I do the problem.
The problem wants me to solve the initial value problem (for y I presume) and then use it with Euler's method to approximate the solution at t = 0.5,1,1.5,2,and 2.5.

Homework Equations

dy/dt = 5 - 3(y^(1/2)) y(0) = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the equation as separable and took the integral of 1/(5-3(y^(1/2))) and found
(-10/9)ln l 5 - 3(y^(1/2)) l + (2/9)(5 - 3(y^(1/2))) = t + C. I don't see how I can solve for y from here. Did I perhaps do my integration wrong? Is there another way to solve this IVP without separation? Or perhaps I don't need to solve for y?
I know that I can solve for C using the given initial value of y but I don't see how this would help me. I know how to do Euler's method so you don't need to explain how to do that unless I have to do it in some special way to figure this problem out
Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
!Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your initial value problem question. I understand that you are struggling with using Euler's method to approximate the solution at certain values of t. Let me try to guide you through the process.

First, you are correct in using Euler's method for this problem. It is a numerical method used to approximate the solution of a differential equation, and it is particularly useful when the equation is not easily solvable by hand.

To start, you will need to find the general solution to the differential equation, which you have correctly identified as separable. However, I believe there may be a mistake in your integration. The correct integral is (-10/9)ln |5 - 3(y^(1/2))| + (2/9)(5 - 3(y^(1/2))) + C = t + C. You can check this by differentiating the left side and verifying that it gives you the original differential equation.

Next, you will need to use the initial condition given (y(0) = 2) to solve for the value of C. This will give you the particular solution to the differential equation.

Now, to use Euler's method, you will need to choose a step size, h, which represents the distance between the values of t that you want to approximate the solution for. In this case, you are given specific values of t (0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5), so you can choose a small enough step size to ensure accuracy (such as h = 0.1).

Finally, you can use the formula for Euler's method to approximate the solution at each of the given values of t. The formula is y(n+1) = y(n) + hf(t(n), y(n)), where y(n) represents the approximation of the solution at t = n*h, and f(t(n), y(n)) represents the value of the differential equation at t = n*h and y = y(n).

I hope this helps you to better understand how to approach this problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck!

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies both a given differential equation and a set of initial conditions. These initial conditions typically include the value of the function at a certain point or points.

2. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change. In an initial value problem, the differential equation is used to determine the function that satisfies both the equation and the initial conditions.

3. What is Euler's method?

Euler's method is a numerical method for solving initial value problems involving differential equations. It uses small steps to approximate the solution of the differential equation, starting from the initial conditions. The smaller the step size, the more accurate the approximation will be.

4. How do you use Euler's method to solve an initial value problem?

To use Euler's method, you first need to rewrite the differential equation as a difference equation. Then, choose a step size and use it to calculate the next value of the function based on the previous value and the differential equation. Repeat this process until you reach the desired number of steps or the desired accuracy.

5. What are the limitations of Euler's method?

Euler's method is a relatively simple and straightforward method, but it has some limitations. It can only approximate the solution of a differential equation and may not be accurate for all types of functions. The step size must also be small enough to ensure accuracy, which can make the computation time-consuming for complex problems.