What is the net impulse and average force on a ball caught in hand?

In summary, a ball with a mass of 1.5 kg traveling at 10 m/s comes to rest in a person's hand in 0.25 seconds. The net impulse exerted on the ball is 15 kg m/s and the average force exerted by the hand is 60 N. However, the gravitational force also affects the force exerted by the hand, and it can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the ball by the acceleration due to gravity and the time interval. This gravitational force should be added to the average force exerted by the hand.
snoopygal327

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 1.5 kg is traveling downward at a speed of 10 m/s. It comes to rest in your hand in .25 s. What is the net impulse exerted on the ball? What is the average force exerted by the hand on the ball (Don't forget the gravitational force.)

Homework Equations

J = mvf-mvi
J = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that the impulse is 15 kg m/s from the first equation. I thought that I had figured out the force exerted by the hand on the ball to be 60 N but now I'm not sure what it means by gravitational force. How does this affect the force exerted by the hand on the ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
snoopygal327 said:

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 1.5 kg is traveling downward at a speed of 10 m/s. It comes to rest in your hand in .25 s. What is the net impulse exerted on the ball? What is the average force exerted by the hand on the ball (Don't forget the gravitational force.)

Homework Equations

J = mvf-mvi
J = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that the impulse is 15 kg m/s from the first equation. I thought that I had figured out the force exerted by the hand on the ball to be 60 N but now I'm not sure what it means by gravitational force. How does this affect the force exerted by the hand on the ball?

Over that time period that you used you also had gravity in the form of m*g acting on the hand as well.

For instance if you had merely arrested its acceleration at the point that it contacted your hand and it traveled still at 10m/s with your hand then your hand would have been exerting a force of m*g on it to keep it from accelerating further. Not only did you do that, but you also arrested its motion all together which is the impulse force you calculated.

LowlyPion said:
Over that time period that you used you also had gravity in the form of m*g acting on the hand as well.

For instance if you had merely arrested its acceleration at the point that it contacted your hand and it traveled still at 10m/s with your hand then your hand would have been exerting a force of m*g on it to keep it from accelerating further. Not only did you do that, but you also arrested its motion all together which is the impulse force you calculated.

I have to calculate another impulse for the gravitational force? So it would be something like J = (1.5 kg)(9.8 m/s2)(.25s).

snoopygal327 said:
I have to calculate another impulse for the gravitational force? So it would be something like J = (1.5 kg)(9.8 m/s2)(.25s).

No. It's just that the gravitational force was constant throughout the impulse and hence is added to the average force.

Oh I see. Thank you.

snoopygal327 said:
Oh I see. Thank you.

No problem.

Cheers.

What is a new impulse and how is it different from average force?

A new impulse is a sudden change in momentum that occurs over a short period of time. It is different from average force because average force is the total force applied over a longer period of time, and does not necessarily result in a change in momentum.

How is new impulse calculated?

New impulse is calculated by multiplying the average force applied by the time period over which the force is applied. It can also be calculated by finding the area under the force vs. time graph.

What are some real-life examples of new impulse?

Some real-life examples of new impulse include a baseball being hit by a bat, a car crash, and a person jumping off a diving board.

How does new impulse affect an object's motion?

New impulse can cause an object to change its velocity and direction of motion. This change in momentum can result in the object speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

Can new impulse be negative?

Yes, new impulse can be negative if the average force applied is in the opposite direction of the object's initial motion. This can result in a decrease in momentum and a change in the object's motion.