Simple Integral question (Exponents)

In summary, an exponent in a simple integral is a small number written above and to the right of a larger number, indicating how many times the larger number should be multiplied by itself. To solve an integral with exponents, you can use the power rule, which can be applied to each term in the integral separately. The power rule can be used for any type of exponent, but if the exponent is negative, the resulting integral will contain absolute value bars. Other rules such as substitution, product, and quotient can also be used to solve integrals with exponents. Online calculators and software programs can also be used, but a basic understanding of the rules and concepts is important for effective use.
homeworkjunk

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{6^x+12^x}{2^x}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int a^udu= \frac{a^u}{ln a} +C[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin, I tried using parts but gave up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make your life simpler by getting rid of the denominator.

6^x = (2 * 3)^x = 2^x * 3^x. You can apply the same idea to 12^x.

I will immediately try that, thanks!

Wohoo! It worked!

You are awesome, thank you!

1. What is an exponent in a simple integral?

An exponent in a simple integral is a small number written above and to the right of a larger number, which indicates how many times the larger number should be multiplied by itself. In the context of integrals, exponents are used to represent repeated multiplication of a variable by itself.

2. How do I solve an integral with exponents?

To solve an integral with exponents, you can use the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C, where C is the constant of integration. This rule can be applied to each term in the integral separately.

3. Can I use the power rule for any type of exponent?

Yes, the power rule can be used for any type of exponent, whether it is a positive integer, negative integer, fraction, or decimal. However, if the exponent is a negative integer, the resulting integral will contain absolute value bars.

4. Are there any other rules I can use to solve integrals with exponents?

Yes, there are other rules that can be used to solve integrals with exponents, such as the substitution rule, the product rule, and the quotient rule. These rules can be useful for more complex integrals with multiple terms or variables.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals with exponents?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can solve integrals with exponents for you. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the rules and concepts involved in solving integrals with exponents in order to use these tools effectively.