How Do You Prove Set Theory Relations and Operations?

In summary, the first proof shows that A contained B if and only if A n B = A. The second proof shows that if A n B = Universe, then A = Universe and B = Universe. The third proof is incorrect and a counterexample using the sets {1, 2, 3}, {2, 3, 4}, and {3, 4, 5} can be used to show that the statement is false.
mbcsantin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to do the questions but I am just not sure if i did it right. id appreciate if you can check my work and let me know what changes i have to make. thanks

the symbol "n" means "intersect"
U for Union

Homework Statement

1) Prove A contained B iff A n B = A

2) Prove the following: For any sets A, B, C in a universe U:
A n B = Universe iff A = Universe and B = Universe

3) Prove or find counterexamples. For any sets A, B, C in a universe U:

if A union C contained B union C then A contained B

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) (=>) Assume A contained B

Let x is an element of A, since A n A = A, x is an element of A and x is an element of B

Case 1: x is an element of A: Since A contained B, x is an element of B so
x is an element of A n B

Case 2: x is an element of B: If x is an element of B then
x is an element of (A n B)

Hence x is an element of A n B

This shows A contained A n B

(<=) Assume A n B = A then

A’=A’UA
= A’ U (A n B)
=(A’UA) n (A’U B)
= empty set n A’ U B
= A’ U B

Hence
Universe = A’ U B

2) Suppose A n B = U and suppose that A is a proper subset of U then
x is an element of B but
x is not an element of A n B since x is not an element of A

3) Let A be the empty set, and let B = C
Then A union C = B and
B union C = B so,
A union C contains B union C, but A does not contain B because A is the empty set and B is not.

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, great job on attempting these proofs! I will go through each one and provide some feedback and corrections where needed.

1) Your first proof looks good, but there are a few small errors. In the first case, you say that "x is an element of A and x is an element of B." This should actually be "x is an element of A and x is an element of A n B." Also, in Case 2, you say that "x is an element of B" but this should be "x is an element of A n B." Finally, in the last line, you say "A contained A n B" but this should be "A contains A n B."

2) In this proof, you seem to be assuming that A is a proper subset of U, but this is not stated in the problem. You also do not use the fact that A = Universe and B = Universe in your proof. Instead, you should start by assuming that A n B = Universe and then show that A = Universe and B = Universe.

3) This counterexample does not work because you are assuming that A is the empty set, but in the problem, it says that A, B, and C are all sets in the universe U. So A cannot be the empty set. Instead, you can use the sets {1, 2, 3} for A, {2, 3, 4} for B, and {3, 4, 5} for C to show that the statement is false. A union C contains B union C, but A does not contain B.

1. What is set theory proving?

Set theory proving is a mathematical technique used to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem by showing that it is true for all elements in a set. This involves constructing logical arguments and using axioms and rules of inference to prove the statement.

2. What are the main components of set theory?

The main components of set theory include sets, elements, subsets, and operations such as union, intersection, and complement. Sets are collections of objects, elements are the individual objects within a set, subsets are sets that contain elements from a larger set, and operations are used to manipulate sets and create new sets.

3. How is set theory proving used in other branches of science?

Set theory proving is a fundamental tool used in many branches of science, including physics, computer science, and statistics. It is used to prove theorems and statements in these fields and to provide a foundation for mathematical models and theories.

4. What are some common techniques used in set theory proving?

Some common techniques used in set theory proving include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. Direct proof involves using logical arguments to show that a statement is true. Proof by contradiction involves assuming that a statement is false and showing that this leads to a contradiction. Proof by induction is a method used to prove statements about infinite sets by first proving it for a base case and then showing that it holds for all subsequent cases.

5. How can I improve my skills in set theory proving?

To improve your skills in set theory proving, it is important to practice solving problems and proofs regularly. You can also study different proof techniques and learn about common logical fallacies to avoid. Additionally, seeking feedback from peers or a mentor can help you identify areas for improvement and provide valuable insights on how to approach proofs more effectively.