Why are Amsterdam's cafes closing down?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the recent news from Amsterdam regarding the closure of cafes that sell both soft-drugs and alcohol. This is a result of a change in the government's drug policy, which now only allows for separate establishments to sell each. The conversation also made references to the fictional milk bar in "A Clockwork Orange" that served milk laced with a stimulant drug.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is funny news I heard from over-sees: there are about 300 cafe's (bars) in Amsterdam that sell soft-drugs and alcohol, but that has been illegal for about five years so the government has finally decided to encourage the closure of those locations. I thought: they changed their drug policy?

It is, however, only illegal to sell both at the SAME location, while it is still perfectly legal to have a bar to sell the softdrugs and have a bar next door to sell the alcohol :P weird

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer a milk-bar...

"The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence."

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was funny too -- http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/international.cfm?id=599302003 -- people will have to take their marijuana outside to spare others from exposed to secondhand smoke...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, I didn't even know that :P
that is funny thought :)

Originally posted by BoulderHead
"The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence."

isn't that from Clockwork Orange?

If I recall "A Clockwork Orange" properly, the milk was laced with, well the substance/drug of choice of the people in the eighties, sniff-sniff, that's why the 'violent tendancies', a strong stimulant that stuff is.

(stimulates the production of dopamine, if I remember that properly too)

What factors contribute to the closing of hasjisj cafe's?

There are several factors that can contribute to the closing of a hasjisj cafe. These may include financial difficulties, lack of customer demand, high operating costs, and competition from other businesses.

How can a hasjisj cafe avoid closing?

To avoid closing, a hasjisj cafe must carefully manage its finances and regularly assess its business plan. It can also adapt to changing customer preferences and market trends, and offer unique and high-quality products and services to attract and retain customers.

What impact does location have on the success of a hasjisj cafe?

The location of a hasjisj cafe can significantly impact its success. A prime location with high foot traffic and visibility can attract more customers and generate higher revenue. On the other hand, a poor location may result in low customer traffic and ultimately lead to the closing of the cafe.

What strategies can a hasjisj cafe employ to increase profitability?

A hasjisj cafe can increase profitability by implementing cost-cutting measures, such as reducing overhead costs and negotiating better deals with suppliers. It can also consider diversifying its menu, offering catering services, and expanding its business hours to attract more customers and generate more revenue.

What should a hasjisj cafe owner do if they are considering closing their business?

If a hasjisj cafe owner is considering closing their business, they should seek professional advice and carefully evaluate their options. This may include selling the business, merging with another company, or declaring bankruptcy as a last resort. It is essential to plan and communicate the closing process with employees, customers, and stakeholders to minimize any negative impacts.