Movie theaters that have a couple of seats where you can't see the movie.

In summary, the conversation discusses various experiences with obstructed view seats in different types of venues, such as movie theaters, baseball stadiums, and the Metropolitan Opera. The speakers question the purpose of these seats and share personal anecdotes of their own encounters with them. The conversation also touches on the kind gesture of an usher in moving someone to a better seat and a memorable opera performance despite having a partial view.
Richard87
Have you ever been to a movie theater where there are seats that are out of view to the movie? A Regal Cinema near me has a couple of seats that are like that. If you sit in one of them you totally can't see the movie. What were they thinking when they put those seats in?

Physics news on Phys.org

Wow, I'm not sure why a theater would be built like that...maybe they're seats for blind people?

I went to a baseball game once and ended up in a seat with an obstructed view. I asked the usher if she could do anything; she moved us to the wheelchair seating, since no one was there. She said it was against the rules to do that, but did it anyway...that was nice of her o:).

I hope they at least sell those seats at a discount!

Many years ago, on a weekend visit to New York, I went to the Metropolitan Opera box office on Friday morning, hoping to get tickets for one of the weekend performances. They didn't even have any standing-room tickets left, but they did offer me a partial-view seat at a discount. It turned out to be on the side of the hall, in the frontmost box of (I think) the first level down from the top. The near side of the proscenium blocked my view of about one third of the stage, but I could see the other two thirds very well, plus I could look almost straight down into the orchestra pit. Fortunately, most of the best parts of the action were on the part of the stage that I could see, and of course I could hear everything.

If there are any opera buffs out there, it was Brittten's "Peter Grimes" with Jon Vickers in the title role. It was one of his signature roles, and I think it may have been the last season he performed it. Great experience.

Yankee Stadium has a couple seats that can't see right field I think

1. What is the purpose of having seats in a movie theater where you can't see the movie?

These seats are typically known as "love seats" or "cuddle seats," and they are designed for couples who want a more intimate movie-watching experience. These seats are often placed in the back row or in a secluded area of the theater, allowing couples to have some privacy while watching the movie.

2. Do these seats cost more than regular seats?

In most cases, these seats do not cost more than regular seats. However, some theaters may offer special packages or deals that include these seats at a higher price. It is always best to check with the theater beforehand to see if there are any additional costs.

3. Are these seats available in all movie theaters?

No, not all movie theaters have these types of seats. They are more commonly found in smaller, independent theaters or luxury theaters that offer a more upscale movie experience. It is always best to check with the specific theater beforehand to see if they have these seats available.

4. Can you still see the movie from these seats?

While these seats are designed to provide a more intimate experience, they are typically placed in a way that still allows for a good view of the screen. However, the angle and distance may vary depending on the specific theater and seat location. It is always best to check with the theater beforehand if you have any concerns about the view.

5. Are these seats only for couples?

While these seats are often marketed towards couples, they can be used by anyone who wants a more private movie-watching experience. Some theaters may even allow single ticket holders to sit in these seats if they are available. However, it is always best to check with the theater beforehand to see if there are any restrictions.