Two Blocks being pulled until one slips

In summary: So in summary, the least amount of time in which the motion can be completed without the top block sliding on the lower block is 17.7 seconds.
indietro

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction is 0.621 between the two blocks shown. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the floor is 0.129. Force F causes both blocks to cross a distance of 5.10 m, starting from rest. What is the least amount of time in which the motion can be completed without the top block sliding on the lower block, if the mass of the lower block is 1.05 kg and the mass of the upper block is 2.91 kg?

__
|__|-->F
|_____|

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i really have no idea how to start this problem. so i know that both the static friction between the upper and lower block will act to the left and the kinetic friction between the lower block and the floor will act to the left. I think what i ultimately need to find the the maximum acceleration the system can have right before the block slips. This acceleration can be used to find the time, using kinematic equations. So for the whole system:
Fnet = (ml +mu)a = Fext - Ffs - Ffk

I also know that the upper block will slip when the force of static friction is at its max so:
Ffs.max = uFn
= (0.621)(2.91)(9.8)
= 17.7 N
Im just not sure where to go from here...
THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Find an expression for the common acceleration of the two blocks.
2. Draw a free body diagram of the bottom block only, find an expression for the net force on it when the top block is just about ready to slip. Solve to get a numerical value for the acceleration.
3. Use the appropriate kinematic equation to find the time.

In problems where two masses accelerate as one it is usually a good idea to find the common acceleration first, even if the problem is not directly asking for it.

Im not sure why i need to find the common acceleration of the two blocks if I am finding the acceleration for just the lower block?

Because you don't know the pulling force and you don't know the acceleration. You have two unknowns, so you need two equations. Also, I didn't say find the acceleration, I said find an expression for the acceleration. This expression will involve F.

ok i see, F being the biggest it can be before block 1 slips...?

Correct.

1. What is the concept of "two blocks being pulled until one slips"?

The concept of "two blocks being pulled until one slips" involves two blocks connected by a rope or string, where one block is being pulled with a constant force. The goal is to determine the maximum force that can be applied before one of the blocks starts to slip.

2. What factors affect the maximum force before one block slips?

The maximum force before one block slips is affected by several factors, including the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface they are on, the weight of each block, and the angle of the rope or string pulling the blocks.

3. How is the coefficient of friction determined for this scenario?

The coefficient of friction can be determined experimentally by gradually increasing the pulling force until one block starts to slip. The maximum force recorded before slipping occurs can then be used to calculate the coefficient of friction using the equation F=μN, where F is the maximum force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

4. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between friction and applied force. It also allows us to calculate the coefficient of friction, which is an important factor in many real-world applications, such as designing machines and structures.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include variations in the surface roughness and material of the blocks, inconsistencies in the pulling force, and human error in recording the maximum force. It is important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average to reduce these sources of error.