Snell's law, critical angle, and angle of incidence

In summary, the students measured the refraction of light in passing from acetone to air for several angles and found that when the angle of incidence was 30 degrees, the angle of refraction was 42 degrees. They also used Snell's law to calculate the critical angle, which is the angle of incidence that refracts to 90 degrees. The critical angle was found to be significantly less than 55 degrees.
reb659

Homework Statement

A pair of students measure the refraction of light in passing from acetone into air for several angles. When the angle of incidence is 30, the angle of refraction is 42.

b) What is the angle of incidence (in degrees) when the refracted angle is the critical angle?

Homework Equations

Snells law: Ni*sin(i)=Nr*sin(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the index of refraction for air to be 1 and for acetone to be 1.36. By snell's law setting r=90:
sin(i crit) = nr/ni * sin(90) = nr/ni = 1/1.36

icrit = arcsin(1/1.36) = 55.73 degrees

Is my answer correct? I'm a bit confused about the part that says "...when the refracted angle is the critical angle". Isn't the angle of incidence (when it creates a refraction of 90 degrees) the critical angle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see what you mean, indeed it's worded poorly...

although realistically it would be a stupid question asking you to work out the angle of incidence where the angle of refraction is the critical angle...i would go with your workings and ask your teacher/whatever for clarification

Yes, it is. You went only half-way answering part (b) which is to find the critical angle. Now answer the question. You have a refracted angle of 55.73 degrees, what is the angle of incidence?

Why wouldn't it just be 55 degrees?

reb659 said:
Why wouldn't it just be 55 degrees?
-
55.73 is the angle of refraction in the air. For that what should be the angle of incidence in acetone?

I thought that in calculating the critical angle to be 55.73 it would be equal to the angle of incidence, not the refracted angle. Isn't the refracted angle just 90?

It appears in the problem that the indexes of refraction used are not the standard values you looked up. (I get a lower ratio)

From the original angles you can use Snell's law to calculate the ratio of the indexes of refraction. Then as explained find the incident angle which refracts to 90deg and that is the critical angle.

The problem is worded OK in my opinion but instead of "acetone" the problem should have stated "some unknown liquid".

EDIT: Hint: I get an angle of _ _ . _ _ _ _ 1711717478...
And it is significantly less than 55.73

1. What is Snell's law?

Snell's law is a formula that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light travels from one medium to another. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums.

2. What is the critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which light traveling from a denser medium to a less dense medium will be refracted at an angle of 90 degrees. This results in the light being reflected back into the denser medium, rather than passing through to the less dense medium.

3. How is the angle of incidence related to the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related by Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is constant for a given pair of mediums. This constant is known as the refractive index and varies depending on the properties of the two mediums.

4. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when light traveling from a denser medium to a less dense medium strikes the boundary at an angle greater than the critical angle. In this case, all of the light is reflected back into the denser medium, with none passing through to the less dense medium.

5. How does the angle of incidence affect the amount of refraction?

The angle of incidence has a direct effect on the amount of refraction that occurs. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases. When the angle of incidence is equal to the critical angle, the angle of refraction is 90 degrees and total internal reflection occurs.