Acceleration and radius of curvature of a particle

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration and radius of curvature of a particle at t=2 using the equations for motion and acceleration. After differentiating and plugging in the given values, the acceleration is found to be <0, 1.5> m/s. To find the radius of curvature, the en unit vector is determined by finding the perpendicular vector to the et vector, which is found by differentiating the original equation. The acceleration is then dotted with en and set equal to v2/ρ to solve for ρ.
ehilge

Homework Statement

The motion of a particle is defined as:

x=[(t-4)3/6]+t2

y=t3/6-(t-1)2/4

Find the acceleration and radius of curvature at t=2

Homework Equations

a=(dv/dt)(et)+(v2/[tex]\rho[/tex])(en)

where et and en are the tangential and normal unit vecotrs to the curve and [tex]\rho[/tex] is the radius of curvature.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was able to get the acceleration by differentiating both of the equations twice and plugging in 2. The x component becomes 0 and the y is +1.5m/s. I'm stumped on the radius though. I differentiated to find dv/dt and v and tried solving for rho but it didn't work. That would have been essentially ignoring et and en since they are unit vectors, so the length is on it they shouldn't affect the outcome, right? Any ideas on how to solve the problem. Also, I think the way the equation is written with the unit vectors in there somewhat confuses me too so if there's anything that could help clear up any confusion with the equation that'd be great too.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do need to account for those unit vectors, at least the en one since that is where the radius of curvature comes into play.

Think of a as having a normal and tangential component (instead of x and y components). The normal component may be equated to v2/ρ, according to your equation.

If you can come up with an expression for en, that may help get you going.

the equations I have in my notes are

en = -sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]i + cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]j

et = cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]i + sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]j

where [tex]\vartheta[/tex] would be the angle between the tangential vector and the x axis

I worked out [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 14 by taking the inverse tan (dy/dt)/(dx/dt).
And then in the original equation, v is the length of <dx/dt, dy/dt> at t=2, and then I'm not exactly sure what dv/dt is. I was thinking that would be the final acceleration, but that would be what is on the left side of the equation so that doesn't make sense. Either way, I have feeling there is an easier way to do all this, any thoughts?

I'm not sure of an easier way here.

I agree with the θ = 14° result, which can be used to determine en. Can you now find the component of a in the direction of en? That result will be equivalent to v2/ρ, so you could then solve for ρ.

dv/dt will not be needed.

ok, I was able to talk with my classmates today and figure out the problem without having to use theta. en can be found by taking the unit vector of the vector perpendicular to et. et is found by differentiating the equation and finding vx and vy. Then a = <0,1.5> is dotted with en to get an. Finally, set an equal to v2/rho and solve.
Thanks for your help!

You're welcome, glad it worked out. :smile:

1. What is acceleration and radius of curvature of a particle?

Acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity of a particle, while radius of curvature is the measure of how sharply a particle is turning in its path.

2. How are acceleration and radius of curvature related?

Acceleration and radius of curvature are directly related, as an increase in acceleration results in a sharper turn or decrease in radius of curvature, and vice versa.

3. How is acceleration and radius of curvature calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time. Radius of curvature can be calculated using the formula r = (v^2)/a, where v is the velocity and a is the centripetal acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration and radius of curvature of a particle?

The acceleration and radius of curvature of a particle can be affected by the mass of the particle, the force acting on it, and the speed at which it is moving.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding acceleration and radius of curvature of a particle?

Understanding acceleration and radius of curvature is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and transportation. It can help in designing efficient and safe curves for roads and railways, predicting the motion of objects in space, and analyzing the stability of structures.