Heat loss of a steel steam pipe

In summary, the conversation is about finding the heat loss per unit length of an unexposed steel steam pipe in a re-insulation project. The pipe has a diameter of 10 inches and is exposed to ambient air flowing at 5 mph. The heat loss can be determined by finding the convection coefficient (h) using the Reynolds number and Nusselt's number. A helpful website is also mentioned.
Batman318
I have a heat transfer question, I work in a plant and am doing a re-insulation project. If an unexposed steel steam pipe (k=47) of diameter 10 inches, maintains an internal temperature of 460F and is exposed to ambient air (70F) flowing at 5 mph across the pipe. Determine the heat loss per unit length. The inside diameter of the pipe is 9.224 inches and the O.D. is 10.75 inches. Emissivity can be taken as 0.8. σ = 5.6669 x 10^-8.

I know you need to find (q/L)rad and (q/L)convection but I'm having trouble figuring out h, the convection coefficient. can anyone help?

Science news on Phys.org
Batman318 said:
I have a heat transfer question, I work in a plant and am doing a re-insulation project. If an unexposed steel steam pipe (k=47) of diameter 10 inches, maintains an internal temperature of 460F and is exposed to ambient air (70F) flowing at 5 mph across the pipe. Determine the heat loss per unit length. The inside diameter of the pipe is 9.224 inches and the O.D. is 10.75 inches. Emissivity can be taken as 0.8. σ = 5.6669 x 10^-8.

I know you need to find (q/L)rad and (q/L)convection but I'm having trouble figuring out h, the convection coefficient. can anyone help?

For working in a plant and doing a project, that sure sounds like the wording of a schoolwork question...

berkeman said:
For working in a plant and doing a project, that sure sounds like the wording of a schoolwork question...

haha wish it was. Finally figured it out, after reading my heat transfer book from a few years ago (thank you very much :cool:), you just have to find the reynolds number and use that to find the Nusselt's number which gives you h.

Glad you figured it out. Q_Goest is the guy to thank in this case.

1. What is the main cause of heat loss in a steel steam pipe?

The main cause of heat loss in a steel steam pipe is thermal conductivity. Steel is a good conductor of heat, meaning that it allows heat to flow through it easily. This results in the transfer of heat from the steam inside the pipe to the surrounding environment.

2. How does the thickness of the steel pipe affect heat loss?

The thicker the steel pipe, the lower the rate of heat loss. This is because thicker pipes have a lower thermal conductivity, meaning they are less efficient at transferring heat. Therefore, thicker steel pipes can help to reduce heat loss in a steam pipe.

3. Can insulation be used to reduce heat loss in a steel steam pipe?

Yes, insulation can greatly reduce heat loss in a steel steam pipe. Insulation works by creating a barrier between the pipe and the surrounding environment, reducing the transfer of heat. This can greatly improve the efficiency of the steam pipe and decrease heat loss.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the heat loss of a steel steam pipe?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect heat loss in a steel steam pipe. These include the temperature difference between the steam and the environment, the length and diameter of the pipe, and the type and thickness of insulation used.

5. How can the heat loss of a steel steam pipe be calculated?

The heat loss of a steel steam pipe can be calculated using the formula Q = (U x A x ΔT), where Q is the heat loss in watts, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area of the pipe, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the steam and the environment. This formula takes into account all the factors that affect heat loss in a steel steam pipe.