AC Circuit Analysis with phasors- tutorials/video lectures?

In summary, an AC circuit is a circuit that contains alternating current (AC) and is different from direct current (DC) circuits. Phasor analysis is used to simplify the analysis of AC circuits, representing time-varying signals as a single rotating vector. This allows for the use of basic algebra and trigonometry to solve complex AC circuit problems. In phasor analysis, AC circuit quantities are represented as complex numbers with magnitude and angle representing amplitude and phase difference. The key components of an AC circuit include a power source, resistors, capacitors, and inductors, which can be connected in series or parallel. To solve AC circuit problems using phasors, the circuit must first be converted into its phasor
vaporize
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how phasors/complex numbers are used to solve circuits which include capacitor, inductor and resistor components.

Has anyone come across video lectures/youtube tutorials/websites that provide comprehensive solutions to a whole bunch of examples...something that will help me out?

Thank you so much,

Engineering news on Phys.org

Last edited by a moderator:
any help would be appreciated

I can assure you that understanding the principles and applications of phasors and complex numbers in AC circuit analysis is crucial for success in this field. I completely understand your struggle in grasping this concept, and I have some resources that may be helpful to you.

Firstly, I recommend checking out online tutorials and video lectures from reputable sources such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These platforms offer comprehensive lessons on AC circuit analysis with phasors, and you can also find a variety of practice problems with step-by-step solutions.

Additionally, there are many YouTube channels dedicated to engineering and physics education that have videos specifically on phasors and AC circuits. Some popular ones include "Learn Engineering," "Michel van Biezen," and "Electronics Tutorial."

Lastly, I suggest looking into textbooks and online resources that provide worked examples and practice problems with detailed explanations. Some recommended textbooks on this topic include "Electric Circuits" by James W. Nilsson and Susan A. Riedel and "Introduction to Electric Circuits" by Richard C. Dorf and James A. Svoboda.

Remember that practice makes perfect, so don't hesitate to solve as many problems as you can and seek help from your professors or peers if needed. With determination and the right resources, I am confident that you will master phasors and AC circuit analysis in no time. Best of luck!

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a circuit that contains alternating current (AC) as opposed to direct current (DC). AC current changes direction periodically, whereas DC current flows in only one direction.

2. What is the purpose of phasor analysis in AC circuits?

Phasor analysis is used to simplify the analysis of AC circuits by converting the time-varying signals into a single rotating vector. This allows for the use of basic algebra and trigonometry to solve complex AC circuit problems.

3. How do you represent an AC circuit using phasors?

In phasor analysis, AC circuit quantities such as voltage and current are represented as complex numbers, with the magnitude representing the amplitude and the angle representing the phase difference.

4. What are the key components of an AC circuit?

The key components of an AC circuit include a power source, resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components can be connected in series or parallel to form different types of AC circuits.

5. How do you solve AC circuit problems using phasors?

To solve AC circuit problems using phasors, you first need to convert the circuit into its phasor representation. Then, you can use basic algebra and trigonometry to solve for the unknown quantities, such as voltage and current. Finally, you can convert the phasor solution back into the time domain to obtain the final answer.