Hartle Gravity - Simple basis vector question

In summary: So if a is timelike, then its components are (0,1,1,1)?Yes, if a is timelike, then its components are (0,1,1,1).
CFDFEAGURU
Helo all,

I have a very simple question about basis Four-Vectors and Components. In Hartle's book, Gravity, he uses the following equation to show the components of the 4-vector, a

a =a[tex]^t{}[/tex]e(sub t) + a[tex]^x{}[/tex]e(sub x) + a[tex]^y{}[/tex]e(sub y) + a[tex]^z{}[/tex]e(sub z)

Sorry for the half LaTex half something else but I couln't get the subscript LaTex command to work right. All it did was create another superscript.

Here is my question:

The e(subs) are a unit vector so there value should be -1 for the t component and 1 for the x, y, and z components correct?

For example, (this is problem 5.1)

The components of the 4-vector a[tex]^\alpha{}[/tex] are (-2,0,0,1)

Is a timelike, spacelike, or null?

The value of a[tex]\alpha[/tex] = -2(-1) + 0(1) + 0(1) + 1(1) = -1

Since -1 < 0, a is timelike.

Is the above correct ?

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not. If this is special relativity, the basis vectors are just the standard basis vectors of [itex]\mathbb R^4[/itex]. [itex]e_0=(1,0,0,0),\ e_1=(0,1,0,0)[/itex] and so on. If it's general relativity, we're talking about basis vectors for the tangent space, and every coordinate system defines a basis as described here.

To determine if a four-vector u is timelike, null or spacelike, you must check if [itex]u^2=g_{\alpha\beta}u^\alpha u^\beta[/itex] is <0, =0, or >0 respectively. If we're talking about the Minkowski metric with the -+++ convention, you have [itex]u^2=-(u^0)^2+(u^1)^2+(u^2)^2+(u^3)^2[/itex].

Fredrik,

Thanks.

The "unit" vector was causing me the confusion.

So the correct calculation for the value of a is

The value of a = -(-2(-2))+ 0(0) + 0(0) + 1(1) = -3

and a is timelike.

glamotte was also helping me out with this but the "unit" vector was causing me some confusion.

Thanks
Matt

It's the correct calculation, but what you're calculating isn't a, it's a2:

[tex]a^2=a^T\eta a=-(a^0)^2+(a^1)^2+(a^2)^2+(a^3)^2=(-2)^2+0^2+0^2+1^2=-3<0[/tex]

Yes, sorry for that. I understood it to be a^2, I just didn't show it in my post.

Thanks for the correction.

Matt

1. What is Hartle Gravity?

Hartle Gravity is a theory proposed by physicist James Hartle that seeks to explain the behavior of gravity using quantum mechanics. It is based on the idea that the universe is made up of tiny, indivisible units of space and time, and that the gravitational force is a result of the interactions between these units.

2. How does Hartle Gravity differ from traditional theories of gravity?

Hartle Gravity differs from traditional theories, such as Newton's law of gravitation and Einstein's theory of general relativity, in that it incorporates quantum mechanical principles. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of gravity at a fundamental level.

3. What is a basis vector in the context of Hartle Gravity?

In Hartle Gravity, a basis vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the direction and magnitude of a force. It is a unit vector that represents a specific direction in space, and is used to calculate the strength of gravitational interactions between particles.

4. How is a basis vector determined in Hartle Gravity?

A basis vector in Hartle Gravity is determined by the geometry of the space in which it is being used. This can vary depending on the specific problem being solved, but typically involves using coordinates such as position, velocity, and acceleration to define the direction and magnitude of the vector.

5. What are the practical applications of Hartle Gravity?

Currently, the practical applications of Hartle Gravity are still being explored and developed. It has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of the behavior of gravity at a microscopic level, which could have implications for fields such as cosmology, quantum mechanics, and particle physics.