Bethe-Bloch Formula: Charge and Energy Deposited by Particles

• Thread starter PBurke1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the Beth-Bloch equation is used to determine the energy deposited by charged particles in matter. The number for incident particle charge is measured in relative charge units and the formula does not change for protons, pions, or muons. This suggests that these particles deposit the same amount of energy through ionization. There is a small dependence on the sign of the charge, but at very high energies, there may be other effects at play.
PBurke1985
Hello all,

i am using the Beth-Bloch equation to determine the energy deposited by charged particles in matter (namely protons, pions and muons). In the formula, is the number for incident particle charge in relative charge units (i.e. -1 for electron and +1 for a proton), as opposed to in Coulombs (1.6E-19 C)? I seem to get the correct answer when using relative units. Secondly, the only parameter in the Bethe-Bloch formula (the one i’m using anyway) for the incident particle, is its charge. If the charge is in relative units (+/- 1) the equation does not change for a proton, pion or muon, since they all have a squared charge of +1. Does this mean that these three particles deposit the same amount of energy inside matter through ionization? I am interested in very high energies (10 MeV - 10^10 MeV).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
PBurke1985 said:
If the charge is in relative units (+/- 1) the equation does not change for a proton, pion or muon, since they all have a squared charge of +1. Does this mean that these three particles deposit the same amount of energy inside matter through ionization? I am interested in very high energies (10 MeV - 10^10 MeV).
Exactly. The Bethe Bloch dE/dx ionization equation depends only on the incident particle velocity and charge, not mass. There is a very small dependence (fraction of 1%) on the sign of the charge, which was observed on comparing positive and negative pions and muons in emulsions in the 1950's. As pointed out in another thread, there are other effects besides dE/dx due to nuclear interactions at extremely high energies. (The Bethe-Bloch ionization is an interaction of the incident particle with atomic electrons).

Bob S

What is the Bethe-Bloch formula and what does it calculate?

The Bethe-Bloch formula is an equation used in particle physics to calculate the amount of energy deposited by a charged particle as it passes through a material. It takes into account the particle's charge, energy, and the properties of the material it is passing through.

How is the Bethe-Bloch formula derived?

The Bethe-Bloch formula was first derived by Hans Bethe and Walter Bloch in the 1930s. They used theoretical and experimental data to develop the equation, which has been refined and expanded upon by other scientists over the years.

What is the significance of the Bethe-Bloch formula in particle physics?

The Bethe-Bloch formula is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of charged particles in matter. It is used in a wide range of applications, from particle accelerators to radiation therapy, and helps scientists make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles.

What are the limitations of the Bethe-Bloch formula?

While the Bethe-Bloch formula is a valuable tool, it does have some limitations. It is most accurate for high-energy particles, and its predictions may deviate from experimental data at very low or high energies. It also does not take into account the effects of multiple scattering, which can be significant for particles with low energies.

Are there alternative equations to the Bethe-Bloch formula?

Yes, there are alternative equations that have been developed to improve upon the Bethe-Bloch formula in certain situations. One example is the Bichsel formula, which includes corrections for low-energy particles and multiple scattering. Other equations, such as the Landau distribution, are also used to describe the energy loss of particles in materials.