Electronic Supply sites make me cry (A switch-related question)

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of finding a tactile switch that meets specific criteria and the lack of comprehensive information provided by electronic supply sites. The different options for tactile switches and their corresponding functions were also addressed, as well as the challenges of finding compatible switch-related parts. It was also mentioned that selecting and sourcing components can be a time-consuming process.
jla2125
Electronic Supply sites make me cry :( (A switch-related question)

Ok so I've been going through Newark's site, trying my darnedest to find a tactile switch that A: does what I want, and B: has plastic switch caps of some kind that fit.

To address item A, I need a tactile button that is normally closed, and that when I press it, it closes. When I release it, it opens again. The options I'm given are things like "Off-(On)", and "Off-On", and various permutations and parenthisizations thereof. Can you guys maybe clear up what all the weird options are, cause no company seems to want to tell me straight-up...

Now for option B: all I want is to be able to put some kinda nice cap on it, maybe a cylindrical one, but really, I just want it to not hurt when I press it.

Why are the datasheets for these things just mechanical drawings and not like, opperating specs? And why don't they tell me what other switch-related parts they work with? For a real engineer, does it really take 1 hour to look for a simple tactile switch, and fail?

Engineering news on Phys.org

I find that DigiKey has the nicest sorting features out of the suppliers I frequent (they also usually have datasheets available). Maybe it's the fact that I grew up in the age of paper, but I like having a paper catalogue, as classes of things are usually grouped together, and more explanatory information is presented (e.g. the meaning ofvarious options)

On to your specific questions...

A) The brackets usually denote momentary action: the switch springs back after you push/toggle it (as opposed to staying put until pressed again, or toggled back).

B) Often, these are custom made. The ubiquity of the tiny membrane tactile switch is due to the fact that you can design all kinds of things that press into it, from buttons with really long shafts to harsh environment silicone keypads. You might be able to find a cap, but youmay want to select a different style button instead.

TIP: don't superglue stuff to a (non-sealed) membrane tactile switch. The glue will wick into the innards (even when you suspend it upside down!) and form a nice insulating layer that renders the switch useless! Use (a small amount of) thick glue (or geled Superglue) instead.

Lastly, it can take hours (and sometimes even longer) to spec out and choose components and vendors. You don't want to be stuck with 100,000 switches that aren't going to work (or worse yet, 1,000 switches that do, but 99,000 that you can't obtain!)

1. Why do electronic supply sites make me cry?

Electronic supply sites can be overwhelming and confusing for many people, especially those who are not familiar with the terminology and specifications of electronic components. This can lead to frustration and tears.

2. How can I make navigating electronic supply sites easier?

One way to make electronic supply sites less overwhelming is to familiarize yourself with common terminology and specifications of electronic components. You can also use filters and search functions to narrow down your options and make the site more manageable.

3. What is a switch and why is it important in electronics?

A switch is an electrical component that controls the flow of current in a circuit. It allows you to turn a device on or off, or to change the direction of current flow. Switches are essential for controlling the function of electronic devices.

4. How do I choose the right switch for my project?

Choosing the right switch depends on the specific requirements of your project. Factors to consider include the type of circuit, voltage and current requirements, and the type of switch (e.g. toggle, push button, slide). It is important to carefully read the specifications and do research to ensure you select the best switch for your needs.

5. Are there any tips for finding affordable switches on electronic supply sites?

One tip for finding affordable switches is to compare prices between different electronic supply sites. You can also look for sales or discounts, or consider buying in bulk to save money. Additionally, some sites offer customer reviews which can help you determine the quality and value of the switch before making a purchase.