Compatibility comparison: ethyl alcohol vs. denatured alcohol

In summary, the parts and the use are fairly pedestrian: an automatic cleaning system for an electric razor. The cleaning system pumps fluid from a reservoir to a portion of the base station where the razor is cleaned in the fluid. I’m not sure of the composition of the parts, but because they include the pump components, the base station and the razor head, I summarized them as plastic, metal and rubber – essentially a best guess. However, the denatured alcohol I’m considering is about 86% ethyl alcohol. It also contains the following: methyl alcohol 3.6 %methyl isobutyl ketone 1.9 %ethyl acetate 1.
OfficeSpace
I have plastic, metal and rubber parts that are compatible with ethyl alcohol (they are regularly washed in a bath of ethyl alcohol). I’m looking for a substitute solution to wash these parts and I am considering denatured alcohol, however, I’m concerned that the denaturing ingredients will harm the parts.

The denatured alcohol I’m considering is about 86% ethyl alcohol. It also contains the following:
methyl alcohol 3.6 %
methyl isobutyl ketone 1.9 %
ethyl acetate 1.0 %
naphtha solvent 0.8 %

Does anyone know if a denatured alcohol with the above composition will be any more harmful to metal, plastic and rubber parts than would a pure ethyl alcohol solution?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome, OfficeSpace. Metal is no real problem regardless, but plastic and rubber can have problems with some solvents. If they're fine with ethanol, then it's very unlikely most of the mentioned chemicals will have much effect, since they're chemically quite similar.

Except the naphta. (Which is basically paint thinner) That's a pretty good non-polar solvent (the others are fairly polar) which makes it rather different. So there's no guarantee a rubber or plastic which is ethanol-resistant will also resist the naphta. On the other hand, the concentration is fairly low. (Also, your numbers don't add up to 100%, so there's something else in there as well?)

I'd look around for a denaturated ethanol without the naphta.

alxm said:
That's worse. It's got acetone in it, which is almost guaranteed to destroy plastic and rubber.
And so can ethyl acetate and methyl isobutyl ketone -- from the OP!

Hence why I said
bomba923 said:
If it's just naphtha that concerns you, how about just
http://www.walgreens.com/store/cata...y-Ethyl-Rubbing-Alcohol-70/ID=prod475-product?

Secondly,
Everything depends on the concentrations of denaturants involved, not just their compositions.
(Unfortunately, Walgreens does not specify concentrations...)

Thirdly,
If the OP can well handle ethyl acetate & methyl isobutyl ketone,
is a bit of acetone really that dangerous?

Fourthly,
Exactly what rubber or plastic is the OP using anyway?

Here are some online guides for gauging chemical resistance of common materials:
http://www.nalgenelabware.com/techdata/chemical/
http://www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/technical_section/chemical_chart_1.asp
http://www.mountainmoonshine.com/images/Liq_Handbook_41-6018_Chemical_resistance_chart_200502.pdf
http://www.ides.com/resources/plastic-chemical-resistance.asp

Last edited:
bomba923 said:
And so can ethyl acetate and methyl isobutyl ketone -- from the OP!

I didn't say they couldn't. I said it's not as likely if the material is impervious to ethanol.

Secondly,
Everything depends on the concentrations of denaturants involved, not just their compositions.

As well as temperature and exposure time and qutie a number of factors in fact.

If the OP can well handle ethyl acetate & methyl isobutyl ketone,
is a bit of acetone really that dangerous?

Yes, acetone damages more plastics and rubbers than those two.

Fourthly, Exactly what rubber or plastic is the OP using anyway?

If he'd said, I'd have made a more detailed recommendation.

alxm said:
I didn't say they couldn't. I said it's not as likely if the material is impervious to ethanol.
Why not? Ethyl acetate and methyl isobutyl ketone are pretty nonpolar solvents.
Several rubbers and plastics impervious to ethanol are easily damaged by both of these solvents.

alxm said:
As well as temperature and exposure time and qutie a number of factors in fact.
The OP said "regularly washed in a bath of ethanol", so I assumed
exposure time = indefinite ("bathed" in the ethanol)
temperature = close to room temperature (unless otherwise specified)
(although hot and/or cold washes are not uncommon)

alxm said:
Yes, acetone damages more plastics and rubbers than those two.
I would be interested in seeing your sources for this.

alxm said:
If he'd said, I'd have made a more detailed recommendation.
Probably what should've been asked in the first place

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses to my post, I appreciate the input.

The parts and the use are fairly pedestrian: an automatic cleaning system for an electric razor. The cleaning system pumps fluid from a reservoir to a portion of the base station where the razor is cleaned in the fluid. I’m not sure of the composition of the parts, but because they include the pump components, the base station and the razor head, I summarized them as plastic, metal and rubber – essentially a best guess.

Combining information from the box and the MSDS, the original cleaning solution is “60-100%” SD ethanol 40-B, “<0.5%” Limonene, Citral, Fragrance and most likely some water. After consulting the Code of Federal Regulations, SD ethanol 40-B is 99.875 % ethyl alcohol, 0.125 % tert-butyl alcohol, and effectively a trace amount of denatonium benzoate.

I’m looking for an alternate cleaning solution that (obviously) will not damage the parts. Ethyl alcohol and glycerol (as a lubricant in lieu of the two oils in the original formula) would work. The problem I’ve encountered is that SD ethanol 40-B does not seem to be available for consumer purchase, and there are a wide range of denaturants used in “regular” denatured alcohol but these are not listed on the containers (which means checking the MSDS for each commercially available solution and thinking about compatibility with parts of unknown composition).

In my original post, the listed denatured alcohol was the “best” regular denatured alcohol that I found; it has the highest concentration of ethyl alcohol, and the fewest additives (again from those that I came across). I have also considered isopropyl alcohol, however I’m uncertain if that would be a good candidate.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

1. What is the chemical composition of ethyl alcohol and denatured alcohol?

Both ethyl alcohol and denatured alcohol are composed of the same chemical compound, which is ethanol. However, denatured alcohol contains additives such as methanol or isopropanol, which make it toxic and undrinkable.

2. What is the main difference between ethyl alcohol and denatured alcohol?

The main difference between ethyl alcohol and denatured alcohol is their intended use. Ethyl alcohol is mainly used for consumption or as a solvent in various industries, while denatured alcohol is primarily used as a solvent or fuel in industrial settings.

3. Are ethyl alcohol and denatured alcohol equally effective as disinfectants?

No, ethyl alcohol and denatured alcohol have different levels of effectiveness as disinfectants. Ethyl alcohol, specifically in concentrations of 70% or higher, is effective at killing germs and bacteria. Denatured alcohol, on the other hand, may not be as effective due to its additives.

4. Can ethyl alcohol and denatured alcohol be used interchangeably?

No, ethyl alcohol and denatured alcohol should not be used interchangeably. Ethyl alcohol is safe for consumption, while denatured alcohol is not. Using denatured alcohol in place of ethyl alcohol can have harmful effects on the body.

5. Is one type of alcohol more environmentally friendly than the other?

Both ethyl alcohol and denatured alcohol are considered to be environmentally friendly. However, denatured alcohol is often made from renewable resources such as corn or sugarcane, making it a more sustainable option.