What is the relationship between refractive index and pressure in gases?

In summary, the refractive index of a gas, when close to 1, can be expressed as n_r = 1+ K\times p, where K represents a constant dependent on pressure. This can be derived using the Clausius-Mossotti equation, where \frac{\rho}{M} = \frac{1}{V_m} is the quantity that depends on pressure. The ideal gas law, \rho = \frac{mp}{nRT}, can also be used to show the relationship between density and pressure.
Aeon
Dependence of refractive index on pressure

Homework Statement

Show that, in a gas (for which the refractive index is close to 1), the refractive index depends on the pressure as [tex]n_r = 1+ K\times p[/tex], and find the value of K.

Homework Equations

[tex]n_r = 1+ K\times p[/tex]
Clausius-Mossotti equation: [tex]\frac{\epsilon_r - 1}{\epsilon_r + 2} = \frac{\rho N_a \alpha}{3M\epsilon_0}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha^'\ = \frac{\alpha}{4\pi \epsilon_0}[/tex]
[tex]n_r = \epsilon_r^{1/2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Any help to get me started, conceptual or mathematical, will be appreciated!

PS: I think I have posted this question in the right forum now. I had posted it in Advanced Physics before... I would have deleted my other post, but I can't.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which quantity on the right-hand side depends on the pressure p?

ehild

Supposing you're talking about the Clausius equation, I would say [tex]\frac{\rho}{M} = \frac{1}{V_m}[/tex] depends on the pressure (inversely to how it behaves in phase diagrams).

The problem confuses me. I don't understand how I can go from the Clausius equation to [tex]
n_r = 1+ K\times p
[/tex]

Think of the ideal gas law. What is the relation between density and pressure?

ehild

i got confused

[tex]\rho = \frac{mp}{nRT}[/tex]

To be honest, I'm starting to think I don't even NEED the Clausius equation to solve this problem...

Do I?

You do. Check the ideal gas law. It is wrong as you wrote it.
The symbol n in the ideal gas low means number of moles, n= mass/molar mass. And look after the meaning of the symbols in the Clausius equation.

ehild

What is the refractive index of a gas?

The refractive index of a gas is a measure of how much a gas can bend or slow down light as it passes through it. It is represented by the symbol "n" and is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the gas.

How does the refractive index of a gas affect the speed of light?

The higher the refractive index of a gas, the slower light will travel through it. This is because the denser a medium is, the more it can slow down light.

What factors can affect the refractive index of a gas?

The refractive index of a gas can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the composition of the gas. In general, higher temperatures and pressures can lead to a higher refractive index.

Why is the refractive index of a gas important?

The refractive index of a gas is an important parameter in optics and physics. It can be used to calculate the speed of light in different mediums, as well as to understand how light behaves when passing through a gas. It is also used in various industries, such as in the production of lenses and optical instruments.

How is the refractive index of a gas measured?

The refractive index of a gas is typically measured using a refractometer, which is a device that uses the principle of refraction to determine the refractive index of a substance. Other methods, such as interferometry and spectroscopy, can also be used to measure the refractive index of a gas.