Apparently this 2nd-order ODE has 3 solutions?

• Thread starter Farina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary: where v(x) is a function to determine by substituting in the ode and find a differential equation for v(x)
Farina
Apparently this 2nd-order ODE has 3 solutions??

The following apparently has 3 solultions:

[tex]
\frac {d^2u}{d\theta^2} + u = -\frac {1}{ml^2u^2}f(u^{-1})
[/tex]

where:

u = 1/r
m = mass
l = angular momentum

One of the solutions is:

[tex]r=r_0e^{k\theta} \text{ where } \theta \text { varies logarithmically with time}[/tex]

Apparently there are also 2 additional solutions (depending on the value of the constant [tex]\alpha[/tex])
that could be in the form of:

[tex]r=Ae^{\sqrt{\alpha x}}+Be^{-\sqrt{\alpha x}} \text{ or }[/tex]
[tex]r=A\theta + B \text{ or }[/tex]
[tex]r=Asin({\sqrt{\alpha x}})+Bcos({\sqrt{\alpha x}})[/tex]

So, knowing:

[tex]
[/tex]

and

[tex]r=r_0e^{k\theta}[/tex]

How does one specifically determine the equations of the additional solutions?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Farina said:
The following apparently has 3 solultions:

[tex]
[/tex]

I saw your other post, and really wasn't able to understand the equation. What function is [tex]f[/tex]?

Something like:

[tex]
\frac {d^2}{d\theta^2}u(\theta)^2+ u(\theta) = -\frac {1}{ml^2u(\theta)^2}
[/tex]

Makes more sense, but if you plug in [tex]u(\theta)=\cos \theta[/tex] which represents a solution to your original problem you get:
[tex]-\cos \theta + \cos \theta = k \sec(\theta)^2[/tex]
or
[tex]0 = k \sec(\theta)^2[/tex]
which is...problematic.

Perhaps you mean that [tex]f(u^{-1})=f(r)=-\frac{1}{r^3}=-u^3[/tex]
then your equation simplifies to:
[tex]
\frac {d^2}{d\theta^2}u(\theta)^2+ u(\theta) = \frac {u(\theta)}{ml^2}
[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{d^2}{d\theta^2}u(\theta)^2 + (1-\frac{1}{ml^2}) u(\theta)=0[/tex]
which has solutions of the form
[tex]u(\theta)=k_1e^{i(\theta)\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{ml^2}}}[/tex]
so
[tex]r(\theta)=k e^{-i(\theta) \sqrt{(1-\frac{1}{ml^2}}}[/tex]
It's relatively easy to see that if [tex]1-\frac{1}{ml^2} < 0 [/tex] the functions are not orbits.

I think you've addressed this NateTG, but I still
have some digesting to do...

The following is basically Newton's DE of motion using two-dimensional polar coordinates instead of three:

[tex]
[/tex]

where:

u = 1/r
m = mass
l = angular momentum
[tex]f(u^{-1}) \text { = the central force} [/tex]

And, yes, l = angular momentum per unit mass (thanks ehild!).

There is a fair amount of derivation provided in the text. The DE is labled as "the differential equation of the orbit of a particle moving under a central force."

Setting u = 1/r you thus have:

[tex]u={r_0}^{-1}e^{-k\theta}[/tex]

Referring back to the DE and using

[tex] \text{u, } \frac {d^2u}{d\theta^2}[/tex]

then simply re-arranging and solving algebraically
for [tex]f(u^{-1} )[/tex] you get

[tex]f(r)=-(k^2+1)ml^2\cdot \frac {1}{r^3}[/tex]

which shows that the central field corresponds to an inverse-cube force.

I'm stuck at the proposition of having to find two other types of possible orbits (and their equations). I was thinking it was a simple matter of expressing the solution to the DE in basic alternative forms -- but maybe not??

NateTG said:
I saw your other post, and really wasn't able to understand the equation. What function is [tex]f[/tex]?

Something like:

[tex]
\frac {d^2}{d\theta^2}u(\theta)^2+ u(\theta) = -\frac {1}{ml^2u(\theta)^2}
[/tex]

Makes more sense, but if you plug in [tex]u(\theta)=\cos \theta[/tex] which represents a solution to your original problem you get:
[tex]-\cos \theta + \cos \theta = k \sec(\theta)^2[/tex]
or
[tex]0 = k \sec(\theta)^2[/tex]
which is...problematic.

Perhaps you mean that [tex]f(u^{-1})=f(r)=-\frac{1}{r^3}=-u^3[/tex]
then your equation simplifies to:
[tex]
\frac {d^2}{d\theta^2}u(\theta)^2+ u(\theta) = \frac {u(\theta)}{ml^2}
[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{d^2}{d\theta^2}u(\theta)^2 + (1-\frac{1}{ml^2}) u(\theta)=0[/tex]
which has solutions of the form
[tex]u(\theta)=k_1e^{i(\theta)\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{ml^2}}}[/tex]
so
[tex]r(\theta)=k e^{-i(\theta) \sqrt{(1-\frac{1}{ml^2}}}[/tex]
It's relatively easy to see that if [tex]1-\frac{1}{ml^2} < 0 [/tex] the functions are not orbits.

If the diff. equation is of the form au'' + bu' + cu = 0, then shouldn't it only have two possible solutions? Unless of course you are cosidering u = 0 a solution.

e(ho0n3 said:
If the diff. equation is of the form au'' + bu' + cu = 0, then shouldn't it only have two possible solutions? Unless of course you are cosidering u = 0 a solution.

I was thinking the same thing, but I also seem to
remember that DE of this form have a bunch of solutions
based on the sign of a combination of constants.

I guess I need to refresh my working knowledge of DE.

e(ho0n3 said:

Your problem is incomplete. You need two boundary conditions in order to set a unique solution for the ode. Also you need to consider under which circumstances au'' + bu' + cu = 0 + (boundary conditions) has a solution and if this solution is unique. (Existence and Uniqueness Theory).

In the case that au'' + bu' + cu = 0 + (boundary conditions) satisfies the uniqueness and existence theorem, the there is only two l.i. solutions to the ode.

On relation to 1 If you already founded a solution, use the reduction of order method to find the second solution ie
[tex]y_{2}(x)=v(x)y_{1}(x)[/tex]

Last edited:

1. Why does this 2nd-order ODE have 3 solutions?

The number of solutions for a 2nd-order ODE depends on the initial conditions and the nature of the differential equation. In some cases, there may be only one solution, while in others there can be multiple solutions. In the case of 3 solutions, it is likely that the differential equation is non-linear and exhibits chaotic behavior.

2. How do I find all 3 solutions for this 2nd-order ODE?

Finding solutions for a 2nd-order ODE can be a complex process and often involves using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or power series. In the case of 3 solutions, it may be necessary to use numerical methods or advanced mathematical techniques to find all solutions.

3. Can there be more than 3 solutions for a 2nd-order ODE?

Yes, it is possible for a 2nd-order ODE to have more than 3 solutions. The number of solutions can vary depending on the nature of the differential equation and the initial conditions. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

4. How do I know which solution is the correct one?

In most cases, the solution that satisfies the given initial conditions is considered the correct solution. However, it is important to note that in some cases, multiple solutions may exist that satisfy the same initial conditions. In these cases, further analysis or experimentation may be needed to determine the most appropriate solution.

5. Can the number of solutions change for this 2nd-order ODE?

Yes, the number of solutions for a 2nd-order ODE can change based on the initial conditions or if the differential equation is modified. For example, adding additional terms or changing the boundary conditions can lead to a different number of solutions. Therefore, it is important to carefully analyze and consider all factors when working with a 2nd-order ODE.