A couple of questions about the weak force.

In summary: Sorry, I'm still a little confused. So when you're saying that any process that produces a single charged lepton must proceed through the weak force, does that mean that alpha decay happens whenever two protons are brought together? Because that's basically what we're doing when we make an atom.Yeah, what you're saying is basically correct. When two protons come together, they create a particle-antiparticle pair (e.g. an electron and a positron). This process is mediated by the weak force, and as a result, alpha decay can happen.
Juxtaroberto
Is the weak force responsible for all radioactive decay, or just beta? If it is also responsible for alpha and gamma, how does it work? If not, what causes the other two?

(Also, related to this, I know that alpha radiation is two protons and two neutrons being expelled from the nucleus, and that beta is either an electron or a positron being expelled from either a neutron or a proton, respectively (or more aptly, one of their quarks), so what exactly is gamma radiation? It is a high energy photon, but being expelled from where, and by what mechanism?)

How is it that the weak force powers the sun? I've heard this repeated many times but I don't think I've found an explanation for it. If the sun is powered by fusion, where does the weak force come in? I think it's the reason why the sun puts out neutrinos, I remember neutrinos in the Feynman diagrams regarding the weak force, but how exactly does it all work?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, nothing? Is it in the wrong section? I figured since I was asking the question from a quantum point of view, i.e. the role of the W+, W-, and Z bosons, that it belonged here.

The strong force mediates some reactions, but pretty much anything where you have leptons involved, that's a weak force interaction I believe. So beta decay is weak-force, and proton-proton fusion is weak force because anti-neutrinos and positrons are created.

Gamma decay is just when a nucleus goes to a lower energy state and emits a high energy gamma-ray. This can result from the nucleus breaking apart, e.g. fission.

My knowledge of this is quite limited though, someone else can probably answer better.

The weak force is responsible for beta decay, the strong force together with the electromagnetic force for alpha decay, and the electromagnetic force for gamma decay.

In Hydrogen fusion, it is necessary to transmute protons into neutrons. Any process in which this occurs necessarily involves the weak force.

Avodyne said:
The weak force is responsible for beta decay, the strong force together with the electromagnetic force for alpha decay, and the electromagnetic force for gamma decay.

Thanks! In the case of beta decay, I know that one of the quarks, with the help of a mediating W boson, decays and releases an electron or positron. What exactly is the process that causes alpha decay? I'm assuming that it happens because the nucleus is large enough that the EM overpowers the strong, which is trying to keep the nucleus together? Is there anything more to it?

And in gamma, does the photon comes from the nucleus, not one of the electrons? When this photon is released, what exactly happens to the proton/neutron that releases it? Can you give a real life example? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just really curious about this.

Parlyne said:
In Hydrogen fusion, it is necessary to transmute protons into neutrons. Any process in which this occurs necessarily involves the weak force.

I see what you're saying. Just like that other poster said, whenever leptons are created, the weak force is involved?

Juxtaroberto said:
Just like that other poster said, whenever leptons are created, the weak force is involved?

Yes, or more generally the electroweak interaction.

Except that particle-antiparticle pair production (e.g. electron plus positron) proceeds via the electromagnetic interaction.

jtbell said:
Except that particle-antiparticle pair production (e.g. electron plus positron) proceeds via the electromagnetic interaction.

Yeah, it's better to say that any process that produces a single charged lepton must proceed through the weak force.

1. What is the weak force?

The weak force is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong force. It is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions.

2. How does the weak force differ from other forces?

The weak force is different from other forces because it has a very short range, only acting over a distance of about 10^-18 meters. It is also much weaker than the other forces, making it difficult to detect and study.

3. What particles are involved in the weak force?

The weak force is mediated by three particles: the W+, W-, and Z bosons. These particles are responsible for the transfer of the weak force between particles.

4. What are the practical applications of the weak force?

The weak force has several practical applications, including the production of nuclear energy through nuclear reactions and the use of radioactive materials in medical treatments and imaging techniques.

5. How is the weak force related to the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson, also known as the "God particle," is a particle that gives mass to other particles. It is closely related to the weak force, as the Higgs field is responsible for giving mass to the W and Z bosons, which mediate the weak force.