Does this professor sound unreliable?

In summary, the student is considering a graduate program in Physics and spoke to the only computational astrophysics professor at the school. The professor is also the director of the supercomputer and may not be as available to students due to his responsibilities. However, he is a nice person and plans to apply for grants from NASA and NSF in the next two years. If he is unable to secure funding, he still has the funding from the supercomputer grant. The professor currently has one graduate student who is graduating in two years. The school guarantees funding for at least two years and the average time to graduate is 7 years. The student is concerned about the professor's availability and the possibility of taking longer than average to graduate. It is also mentioned
creepypasta13
I got admitted to a Physics graduate program and just visited the school last week. My main research interest is computational astrophysics and I spoke to the only comp astro prof there. Ever since becoming the director of the supercomputer, I heard that he's not available to students nearly as much. However, he was a pretty nice guy. However, he's the only comp astro prof at the moment (but they will hire a new theoretical astro prof really soon). He will apply for grants for funding from NASA and NSF throughout the next 2 yrs. If he can't get funding that way, he still has the funding from being director of the campus supercomputer. He only currently has 1 grad student, and he plans to graduate in 2 yrs. He is getting funded by that supercomputer grant. If he hires me, and the prof can't get the NASA or NSF grant, then I can get funding from the supercomputer grant if that guy graduates. Does this professor sound reliable to work for? Or would it be a major gamble to go to that school?

Physics news on Phys.org
creepypasta13 said:
If he hires me, and the prof can't get the NASA or NSF grant, then I can get funding from the supercomputer grant if that guy graduates. Does this professor sound reliable to work for? Or would it be a major gamble to go to that school?

It really depends on that schools policies. It's the policy of some programs to guarantee funding for graduate students, so in that case if a professor's grant falls through, what that means is that you have to TA classes rather than get a funded RA. You can ask whether the program will guarantee funding at which point it becomes their problem rather than your problem.

Also, I'd wouldn't worry too much about working with a specific professor until after you've entered the program. You will have a lot better information about professors once you are on the ground. The other thing is that in getting the Ph.D. done, the professor's ability to get funding is usually less important than "personal compatibility."

twofish-quant said:
It really depends on that schools policies. It's the policy of some programs to guarantee funding for graduate students, so in that case if a professor's grant falls through, what that means is that you have to TA classes rather than get a funded RA. You can ask whether the program will guarantee funding at which point it becomes their problem rather than your problem.

they mentioned that the avg time to graduate is 7 years, first 2 years you're guaranteed at least a TAship, and for 3rd year and after, you just need at least a 3.0 gpa I believe to get TAship

After discussing the TA policy more, they just said they try their 'best' to support all students and have never had a student lack funding.

Anyways, I also wanted to know how big of an issue is it for a school to have its students take 7 yrs on avg to graduate instead of the avg 5-6? Also, I should mention that since recently becoming the Director of the campus supercomputer, the current grad student mentions he only sees that prof 3 times/month, if that means anything

Last edited:
7 years on average to graduate? Jesus...

ych22 said:
7 years on average to graduate? Jesus...

at least that's what the secretary told me during my visit. and that's for theorists. its 8 yrs for experimentalists. But I'm a little suspicious of that since according to gradschoolshopper, its about 6 yrs for that school

Well, anything above 5 years is pretty brutal IMHO. I've seen quite a few grad students lingering in limbo when they should have long graduated, and it has put me off considering grad studies for now.

But I guess it depends on your field...maybe 6 is considered acceptable :/

twofish-quant said:
The other thing is that in getting the Ph.D. done, the professor's ability to get funding is usually less important than "personal compatibility."

I agree here. Do you think he'll be available (in person or via email, etc.) if you need him around? Or do you think of yourself as working better when left to your own devices and mostly independently motivated (particularly since there's only one senior grad student in the group). Did you get a chance to talk to this grad student during your visit, and how do think of yourself as compared to that student in terms of personality and work habits (since that might be a good judge of compatibility, though not a guarantee)?

I'm not sure how relevant this will be at your school, but when I went through graduate studies I we were funded for four years. After the fourth, sometimes people got a fifth year extension, but this wasn't guaranteed. Given the instability of the economy right now, I would assume nothing is guaranteed. So the issue, if you end up extending your program into 6+years, is that you may end up dragging it out even longer because you'll have to get another part-time job to support yourself.

As far as that grad student only seeing the professor 3x per month, it depends on what that student wants and/or needs. Some students work fine on their own and minimal supervision is not a problem. As a new grad student though, it would be to your advantage to meet with your supervisor at least on a weekly basis. Then, as you progress, you will begin to learn how frequently such meetings are actually needed.

Keep in mind too that NASA funding in general is drying up. It wouldn't surprise me that he's having a hard time getting funding right now.

physics girl phd said:
I agree here. Do you think he'll be available (in person or via email, etc.) if you need him around? Or do you think of yourself as working better when left to your own devices and mostly independently motivated (particularly since there's only one senior grad student in the group). Did you get a chance to talk to this grad student during your visit, and how do think of yourself as compared to that student in terms of personality and work habits (since that might be a good judge of compatibility, though not a guarantee)?

I don't know. The group did consist of a few postdocs and research scientists (they also seemed pretty nice and open), who were in the same office as the grad student, so I may have access to them instead of the prof, though I forgot to discuss this with the grad student. That prof was one of the very few profs out of all of the schools I visited who was so busy that he couldn't answer my email to set up a meeting during my open house visit. I had to call the secretary, who did emailed him with a 'high priority' setting so he could then see my email and agree to meet.

I completed my most recent undergrad research project very independently, as I saw my prof about once per month in-person, and we didnt once have a group meeting. I was ok with that, especially since he answered all of my emails quickly whenever I needed help

The grad student mentioned I would have to be very independent. I could handle that later on, but when I first start off, that could be a problem

Choppy said:
So the issue, if you end up extending your program into 6+years, is that you may end up dragging it out even longer because you'll have to get another part-time job to support yourself.

wow, I've never heard of a student never being supported on a fellowship, TA , or RA before

gb7nash said:
Keep in mind too that NASA funding in general is drying up. It wouldn't surprise me that he's having a hard time getting funding right now.

Being the Director of the SC, I'm a little surprised by this

Last edited:
I meant to say the prof (that this thread is about) is the director of the SC. Hahaha, I wish I were the director of the SC.

I also found something a little troubling about him, and this was really hard to dig up as he doesn't list this on his website. Hes currently about 58 years old.

And this is bad, because ... :confused:

Well I hope he won't retire, get health problems and possibly die

He's 58, not 113.

1. How can I tell if a professor is unreliable?

There are a few red flags to look out for when determining if a professor may be unreliable. These include consistently canceling or rescheduling classes, not being available for office hours or meetings, and providing inconsistent or incorrect information.

2. What should I do if I suspect a professor is unreliable?

If you have concerns about a professor's reliability, it's important to communicate with them directly. You can try discussing your concerns with them during office hours or sending them an email. If the issue persists, you may want to bring it to the attention of the department chair or dean.

3. Can a professor's teaching style make them appear unreliable?

Yes, a professor's teaching style can sometimes make them appear unreliable, especially if they are disorganized or unprepared for class. However, it's important to remember that teaching style does not necessarily reflect a professor's overall reliability.

4. Are there any resources available to help me determine a professor's reliability?

Some universities have platforms or websites where students can rate and review their professors. These can be helpful in providing insight into a professor's reliability. Additionally, talking to other students who have taken the same course can also give you a better understanding of the professor's reliability.

5. Is it possible for a professor to be reliable in some aspects but not others?

Yes, it is possible for a professor to be reliable in some aspects, such as grading and meeting deadlines, but not as reliable in other areas, such as providing clear instructions or being available for extra help. It's important to consider the overall picture and weigh all factors when determining a professor's reliability.