Engineering that is the closest to mathematics and physics?

In summary, there are various types of engineering that require rigorous proof or a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, such as electrical engineering, nuclear engineering, and optical engineering. However, no engineering discipline will solely focus on proofs and most will have a balance between theory and application. Those interested in a more mathematically-based approach may consider studying engineering science, engineering physics, or engineering mathematics, while those wanting a more practical approach may choose applied math. Accommodations can also be provided for individuals with vision problems in engineering coursework.
l-1j-cho
Which type of engineering requires rigourous proof or subtle and conceptual level of physics and mathematics?
For instance, engineering that requires more knowledge in quantum mechanics or modern physics than classic physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
l-1j-cho said:
Which type of engineering requires rigourous proof or subtle and conceptual level of physics and mathematics?
For instance, engineering that requires more knowledge in quantum mechanics or modern physics than classic physics?

I can't speak to other disciplines, but for Electrical Engineering, communication theory, optical communications, and solid-state devices are extremely mathematically-based. If you're primary interested in applications of quantum mechanics, look into solid-state.

l-1j-cho said:

A big part of electrical engineering is applied modern/quantum physics: superconductivity, semiconductors, optics, solid-state devices, etc. No engineering requires rigourous proofs like in a mathematical analysis class but you'd most likely use parts of applied real and complex analysis doing things like communications and control theory. In my ee undergrad we don't do many but we use parts of it that you'd need a good understanding of calculus and ode's to know where things come from that are taken for granted. Depending on the engineering I think you'll be disappointed if what you want is rigorous physics and math though.

u

l-1j-cho said:

Umm I doubt any engineering will require proofs, that's just not the point of engineering. The closest area of engineering that would directly require modern physics/quantum would be nuclear engineering. Although, not much quantum is covered usually, there's nuclear physics that will be covered. Other then that I may have to agree with the others and say EE. Theres a EE research group at my university called "Quantum Engineering" and they were with nanostructures and use quantum mechanics...I don't know about field theory though.

Do an applied math degree. I've heard the difference between a physics course from the math department and a physics course from the physics department is the following:

in the math department, they'll show you the proof of the equation and they'll emphasize that more than in the application. While it's the opposite in the physics department. (i've been told by somebody on this forum)

Uhm, how about optical engineering? It sounds the most interesting to me than all other branches engineering. However, I am red-green colourblind (deuteranopia). I can't clearly distinguish between green and red. Would it matter if I go for opitcal engineering or electrical engineering?

l-1j-cho said:
Uhm, how about optical engineering? It sounds the most interesting to me than all other branches engineering. However, I am red-green colourblind (deuteranopia). I can't clearly distinguish between green and red. Would it matter if I go for opitcal engineering or electrical engineering?

I can't comment on how vision problems would effect your career. But I would imagine red-green colour blindness would likely be an almost insignificant issue when it comes to doing well with coursework. You might have an optics lab course. In the US, the school is required to provide accommodations (if they are needed) for this type of thing.

Get a degree in engineering science/engineering physics/engineering mathematics. They are the same, but they may have different names across programs. However, if you truly don't want to major in physics, but a related field get a degree in applied math.

What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of mathematics, science, and technology to solve real-world problems and design solutions.

How is engineering related to mathematics?

Engineering heavily relies on mathematics for solving problems, making calculations, and designing systems. Many engineering concepts, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, are rooted in mathematics.

What is the role of physics in engineering?

Physics is fundamental to engineering as it provides the underlying principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy. Engineers use physics to understand the physical world and apply it to design and develop solutions.

What skills are necessary for a career in engineering?

Strong mathematical and physics skills are essential for a career in engineering. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are crucial for success in this field.

Can engineering be considered a science?

Engineering is often referred to as a "practical science" as it involves the application of scientific principles and methods to create tangible solutions. However, engineering also has its own set of methods, processes, and problem-solving techniques, making it a distinct field from pure scientific research.