I've got jobs offers. Which one do I take?

• Thread starter Iforgot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, the speaker has a PhD in physics and has been working as a scientist since graduating last year. They have been looking for a new job since January and have a couple of offers lined up and one more interview coming up. They also botched one interview related to their PhD work and the upcoming interview is also related to their field. All of the interviews have been at least 7 hours long and have required travel. The speaker is considering a postdoc position or a scientific programming position, leaning towards the latter. They believe their PhD in physics has opened up opportunities in programming. The speaker also discusses the intense interview process and asks for thoughts on the various career paths.
Iforgot
I have a PhD in physics, and have been working as a scientist since I graduated last year. I've been looking for a new job since January. I have a couple offers lined up and one more interview coming up. And I botched one interview.

One offer is for a postdoc in my field. The other offer is for a scientific programming position.

The interview I botched was related to my PhD work, and the interview that's coming is also related to my PhD work. Both are big name companies.

All of these interviews are at least 7 hour long. I've had to travel all over the US for thes interviews:P

Position in my field: While the work in my field is interesting, I don't think it will provide for a stable career. If the technology I'm hired to work on doesn't pan out, I could be retrained, but I don't trust corporate America enough to do so.

The postdoc position could lead to a cushy professorship, but only if I get some high impact publications (i.e. I get lucky). And tenure track professorships are hard to get. And I've been reading that there's an equivalent of the mortgage bubble brewing for higher education.

I'm leaning towards the programming position. I've been trying to get my foot in this door for a while. It would provide a nice transition to a career in finance by providing more programming experience. They gave me a 6 hour programming test that I aced, so I know their decision to hire me is based on hard facts. I think the PhD in physics open the doors for some programming positions that are not available to people with degrees in straight computer science. And it's a more stable career and easier to find and get jobs... right? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

With regards to the interview I botched. There was one point where one of the interviewers was giving me the 3rd degree. It was worse than a thesis defense. When I would try to explain why certain measurements were not necessary and the relevant data could be obtained via other methods, he would interrupt about 6 words in and repeat his question. Like they do in interrogations scenes on crime shows. What does this sort of interaction indicate? Are they just testing to see if I'll go postal?

Regardless which path I choose, I'll be closing off the other paths probably for good.

Any one have any thoughts on the pros and cons of the various career paths?

Physics news on Phys.org
Iforgot said:
They gave me a 6 hour programming test that I aced, so I know their decision to hire me is based on hard facts.

Wow, that's intense. Where are you interviewing that is giving 6 hour programming tests? Most of the programming interviews I've had involved outlining small tasks (reversing a string, converting roman numerals to integrals, etc) or giving small presentations about code I've written.

Iforgot said:
Like they do in interrogations scenes on crime shows. What does this sort of interaction indicate? Are they just testing to see if I'll go postal?

Often, yes.

1. How do I compare job offers?

To compare job offers, it is important to consider factors such as salary, benefits, job responsibilities, company culture, and growth opportunities. Make a list of pros and cons for each offer and prioritize what is most important to you.

2. Is it okay to negotiate job offers?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to negotiate job offers. It is important to know your worth and to communicate your expectations and needs to the employer. However, be mindful of being respectful and professional during the negotiation process.

3. Should I only consider the salary when deciding which job offer to take?

No, salary should not be the only factor when deciding which job offer to take. While it is important to consider the compensation, it is also important to evaluate the company's values, work-life balance, and potential for growth and development.

4. How do I decline a job offer?

If you have decided to decline a job offer, it is best to do so in a timely and professional manner. Express your gratitude for the offer and politely decline while providing a brief explanation. This will leave a good impression and keep the door open for future opportunities.

5. What if I am torn between two job offers?

If you are having a hard time deciding between two job offers, it may be helpful to list out the pros and cons of each offer and consider which aligns better with your long-term goals and values. You can also reach out to your network for advice or ask the employers for some time to make a decision. Trust your instincts and choose the offer that feels like the best fit for you.