Partial pressures and PV = nRT

• Thread starter gkangelexa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the given chemical reaction produces nitrogen dioxide and water when ammonia is burned in air. By using the ideal gas law, the partial pressure of NO2 in a rigid container can be calculated based on the initial pressure and moles of the reactant gases. The final partial pressure of NO2 is found to be 4 atm.
gkangelexa

Homework Statement

Ammonia burns in air to form nitrogen dioxide and water

4NH3(g) + 7O2(g) --> 4NO2(g) + 6H2O(l)

If 8 moles of NH3 are reacted with 14 moles of O2 in a rigid container with an initial pressure of 11 atm, what is the partial pressure of NO2 in the container when the reaction runs to completion? (assume constant temperature)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what i did:
i used PV = nRT... since T, R, and V are constant here,
I said Pinitial/ ninitial = Pfinal/nfinal

I used 11 atm for P initial and I added the moles of the 2 reactant gases for the initial n to get 8+14 = 22.
(is this allowed? Can I add the 2 moles of gases together for this problem even though they are different gases?)

Then I used 8 moles for my final n (since 8 moles of NO2 were formed) and then calculated 4 atm as my answer for the final partial pressure of NO2.

Is there a faster/ easier way to calculate the answer?
Did I do it the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
gkangelexa said:
I used 11 atm for P initial and I added the moles of the 2 reactant gases for the initial n to get 8+14 = 22.
(is this allowed? Can I add the 2 moles of gases together for this problem even though they are different gases?)

You can do that; you actually probably want to consider PtotalV = ntotalRT (total being the two gases you start with) and PNO2V = nNO2RT, then combine the two equations to get Ptotal/ntotal = PNO2/nNO2 (similar to what you did).

Your initial amounts of NH3 and O2 are in the same ratio as their reaction ratios in the equation, and 8 mol NH3 will yield 8 mol NO2, so everything you did looks good. :smile:

1. What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure is the pressure that a single gas would exert if it occupied the same volume as a mixture of gases at the same temperature.

2. How do you calculate partial pressure?

Partial pressure can be calculated by multiplying the mole fraction of a gas by the total pressure of the mixture.

3. What is the ideal gas law, PV = nRT?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationships between pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and the number of moles of gas (n) in a closed system.

4. How does temperature affect partial pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, so does the pressure of a gas at a constant volume and number of moles.

5. Why is it important to consider partial pressures?

Partial pressures are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of individual gases within a mixture and their contribution to the total pressure. They are also used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in gas chromatography and gas storage.