Slightly confused about embedding picture and imagining spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 2D surface embedded in 3D space as an analogy for understanding 4D space-time. The concept of parallel transport and its effect on orientation in curved space-time is also mentioned. The confusion about embedding a non-Euclidean 3D space in a 4D space-time is clarified, and the possibility of using a gyroscope to measure curvature is discussed. Overall, the conversation delves into the complexities of understanding higher dimensions and their relation to our physical world.
jmz34
I'm slightly confused as to how we can use the picture of a 2D surface embedded in 3D space as an analogue to understand (maybe not picture!) 4D spacetime. My initial thinking was that trying to imagine a 4D spacetime isn't really possible, it's just a mathematical concept which one should not try to picture. Am I right in thinking this?

But to be a small being/insect on a 2D cylinder, say, on embedded in 3D space the intrinsic geometry would be Euclidean, if the insect traversed the whole cylinder and arrived it at the same point then it could infer some information about the topology of the surface. I'm fine with all this. Problem arises when I try to take these concepts for a 3D manifold embedded in 4D spacetime.

If this 3D manifold is curved, then by taking measurements locally we should (like the insect) be able to deduce information about the intrinsic geometry of the space. Does this mean that, if we were near a massive spherical body say, and were able to fly from the north pole, towards the equator, fly to the left (without changing orientation), then fly backwards up to the north pole- the orientation of the spacecraft would differ from the initial? Is this a symptom of 3D space being curved?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't calculated the specific example you cite, but in general, when you parallel transport a vector around a closed curve, in a curved space-time its orientation changes, and in a flat space-time it doesn't.

If you represent the notion of the front-back of the spaceship with a vector, and you interpret "keeping the direction the same" as parallel transport (which is a reasonable interpetation) this is equivalent to what you asked.

jmz34 said:
But to be a small being/insect on a 2D cylinder, say, on embedded in 3D space the intrinsic geometry would be Euclidean ... Problem arises when I try to take these concepts for a 3D manifold embedded in 4D spacetime.
I think you are confusing two meanings of "embedding" here:

1) A non-Euclidean manifold can be embedded in a higher dimensional Euclidean manifold.

- For example the surface of a ball is a non-Euclidean 2D manifold embedded in a 3D Euclidean manifold.
- Or your 2D cylinder surface could be deformed to be non-Euclidean too and then embedded in a Euclidean 3D manifold for visualization, like done here:
http://www.relativitet.se/spacetime1.html
http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/gravitation.swf

2) The non-Euclidean 3D space is a subspace of the 4D space-time which is also non-Euclidean.

This is not usually called embedding. To visualize the non-Euclidean 3D space or the non-Euclidean 4D space-time using embedding you would need even higher dimensional Euclidean spaces.

jmz34 said:
If this 3D manifold is curved, then by taking measurements locally we should (like the insect) be able to deduce information about the intrinsic geometry of the space. Does this mean that, if we were near a massive spherical body say, and were able to fly from the north pole, towards the equator, fly to the left (without changing orientation), then fly backwards up to the north pole- the orientation of the spacecraft would differ from the initial? Is this a symptom of 3D space being curved?
Yes, you could use a gyroscope for that. A gyroscope that orbits a massive body on a circular path will arrive with a different orientation at it's initial position.

1. What is embedding a picture in the context of spacetime?

Embedding a picture in the context of spacetime refers to the representation of an object or event in a higher-dimensional space, typically 4-dimensional space-time. This allows for a better understanding and visualization of the relationships and interactions between objects and events in the universe.

2. How does embedding a picture help in understanding spacetime?

Embedding a picture helps in understanding spacetime by providing a visual representation that can aid in comprehending the complex concepts and theories related to the nature of space and time. This visual representation allows for a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of objects in the universe.

3. What are the benefits of embedding a picture in studying spacetime?

There are several benefits of embedding a picture in studying spacetime, including a better understanding of the curvature of space-time, visualization of the effects of gravity on objects, and the ability to visualize and analyze complex mathematical models and equations.

4. What techniques are used for embedding pictures in spacetime?

There are various techniques used for embedding pictures in spacetime, including mathematical models such as Riemannian geometry, tensors, and differential equations. Computer simulations and visualizations are also commonly used to embed pictures in spacetime.

5. How is embedding a picture related to the theory of relativity?

Embedding a picture is closely related to the theory of relativity, as it allows for a visual representation of the principles and concepts proposed by this theory. It helps in understanding the relationships between space, time, and gravity, which are fundamental to the theory of relativity.