Materal - Power law for AA6082

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a material for metal sheet forming simulations, specifically AA6082. The individual plans to use a power law description, but is unable to find the value for the strength coefficient, K. They inquire if there is a table or method for calculating it. The conversation also mentions the potential impact of heat treatment, temperature, and deformation rate on the material's properties.
zogru11
Hi! Iam doing metal sheet forming simulations and I want to find a material for AA6082 and I wanted to use a power law description of the form sigma = K*(strain)^n

where K is the strength coefficient and n is the strain hardening index. But I can not find the value for K. Anyone know any table where I can find it or how to calculate it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
zogru11 said:
Hi! Iam doing metal sheet forming simulations and I want to find a material for AA6082 and I wanted to use a power law description of the form sigma = K*(strain)^n

where K is the strength coefficient and n is the strain hardening index. But I can not find the value for K. Anyone know any table where I can find it or how to calculate it?
AA6082 - T4 or T6? Hot or cold stamping?

Maybe this paper - Investigation of deformation and failure features in hot stamping of AA6082: Experimentation and modelling
http://www.citeulike.org/article/9628320

Heat treatment/temper (really grain size and dislocation density), temperature and deformation rate will have an effect.

1. What is the power law for AA6082?

The power law for AA6082 is an empirical equation that describes the relationship between stress and strain for this specific material. It is used to determine the material's behavior under different loading conditions.

2. How is the power law determined for AA6082?

The power law for AA6082 is determined through experimental testing. Strain and stress data is collected from different loading conditions and then fitted to the power law equation using statistical methods.

3. What are the benefits of using the power law for AA6082?

The power law allows for quick and accurate prediction of the material's behavior under different loading conditions. It also provides insights into the material's strength and ductility.

4. Are there any limitations to using the power law for AA6082?

One limitation of the power law for AA6082 is that it is only valid for a specific temperature range. It also assumes that the material behaves in a homogeneous and isotropic manner, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.

5. How can the power law for AA6082 be applied in engineering design?

The power law for AA6082 can be used to determine the maximum load a structure made from this material can withstand before failure. It can also help in selecting appropriate machining and forming processes to ensure the desired mechanical properties are achieved.