What Units Are Used in Solid State Physics Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the units commonly used in solid state physics articles, and the equation \Lambda a \sim 1 where \Lambda is a momentum cutoff and a is the lattice spacing of a crystal. The questions raised include whether these units are atomic units or not, and if it is necessary to set the speed of light and Planck constant to 1 in a low energy treatment. The conversation also mentions the use of the wavevector "k" and the maximum value of k, \Lambda, which has units of inverse meter.
zakk87
I'm having some troubles understanding the unit used in solid state physics. In a paper I read

[tex] \Lambda a \sim 1 [/tex]

where [itex] \Lambda [/itex] is a momentum cutoff and [itex] a [/itex] is the lattice spacing of a crystal. Questions:

1) What kind of units are customarily used in solid state physics scientific articles? Can I be confident that they are atomic units?

2) The aforementioned equation is not correct as far as the units of measure are concerned. If this was solid state physics, I would say that one could set the speed of light and the Planck constant to 1 and make the equation correct. However in a low energy treatment in solid state physics, I don't see the point in using the speed of light or the Planck constant, and making the physics of the system dependent upon these quantities.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "atomic units".
However the momentum of electrons in crystals may be given or plotted in terms of "k", the wave-vector.
The momentum p can be written as [tex] p=\hbar k [/tex] where k is the wavevector.
Your capital lambda is probably the maximum value of k along that direction.
It has units of inverse meter.

What are atomic units?

Atomic units are a system of natural units commonly used in physics and chemistry to simplify calculations involving atoms and molecules. They are based on fundamental constants such as the mass of an electron and the charge of an electron.

Why are atomic units useful?

Atomic units make calculations involving atoms and molecules easier by eliminating the need to work with large numbers and complex units. They also allow for a more intuitive understanding of physical and chemical phenomena at the atomic scale.

How are atomic units defined?

Atomic units are defined by a set of fundamental constants, including the mass of an electron, the atomic unit of length, and the atomic unit of energy. These constants are chosen to be equal to 1, making calculations simpler and more intuitive.

What are the most commonly used atomic units?

The most commonly used atomic units are the atomic unit of length (Bohr radius), the atomic unit of energy (Hartree energy), and the atomic unit of time (Hartree time). These units are used to measure length, energy, and time, respectively.

Are atomic units used in all fields of science?

No, atomic units are mainly used in fields such as physics and chemistry, where calculations involving atoms and molecules are frequent. They are not commonly used in other fields of science, such as biology or geology.