Solving a differential equation using Cauchy-Euler Method

In summary, the student is having difficulty solving a problem using the Cauchy-Euler method that they are supposed to solve. They are also having trouble understanding the derivative notation in their book.
madcattle

Homework Statement

Hey all, this is my first time posting here. I've used your help before, but have not actually ever had to post a question. Thanks for any help you can give, I am excited to finally join the community.

I am doing calculus homework and I am having trouble solving this problem using the Cauchy-Euler method that we're supposed to solve it with.

Solve: xy4 + 6ym = 0

It is the part about the 6ym that I am not sure what to do with.

Homework Equations

andny / dxn ...a0y = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

My book toldme to try and substitute y=xm into the derivative parts, and all of the other problems I've done work with that method. This is what I've done so far.

y=xm
y1=mxm-1
y2=m(m-1)xm-2
y3=m(m-1)(m-2)xm-3
y4=m(m-1)(m-2)(m-3)xm-4

I know how to treat the 4th derivative term; again, I just don't know what or how to think about the y^m term. I know the solution to the problem, as it is in the back of my book, I just don't know how to get there. Can anyone give me a prod in the right direction?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any derivative in the original equation!

I'm sorry, our book uses notation so that y^4 is supposed to be the fourth derivative of y.
So, for example, y1=y´ and y^2 = y´´

madcattle said:
I'm sorry, our book uses notation so that y^4 is supposed to be the fourth derivative of y.
So, for example, y1=y´ and y^2 = y´´

The usual notation is y^(2) (so we can tell the difference between that and the square of y). Anyway, you have found the first few y^(m) for y = x^n. If you don't see the pattern, I suggest you look instead at y^(m)/m! and see if you recognize the coefficients there.

RGV

I see that there is a relationship in that
y^(m)/m = (my^(m-1) + m(m-1)y^(m-2)...)/(m(m-1)(m-2)...) but I don't actually understand how to apply that relationship at all yet

Nevermind, I'm really sorry about this. I mistook the book for having written y^m when they really wrote y^´´´. I guess my new problem is poor eyesight. Thanks a lot for the help, I struggled trying to solve this for a solid 40 minutes.

1. What is the Cauchy-Euler method for solving differential equations?

The Cauchy-Euler method is a technique used to solve linear differential equations of the form ax^2y'' + bxy' + cy = 0, where a, b, and c are constants. It involves finding a general solution by assuming a solution of the form y = x^r and then solving for the values of r that satisfy the equation.

2. When is the Cauchy-Euler method most useful?

This method is most useful when dealing with differential equations that involve a polynomial function multiplied by a derivative or a function raised to a power.

3. What are the steps for solving a differential equation using the Cauchy-Euler method?

The steps for solving a differential equation using the Cauchy-Euler method are as follows:1. Assume a solution of the form y = x^r.2. Substitute y and its derivatives into the differential equation.3. Solve for the values of r that satisfy the equation.4. Use the values of r to form the general solution y = c1x^r1 + c2x^r2 + ... + cnx^rn.5. Use initial conditions, if given, to determine the specific values of the constants c1, c2, ..., cn.

4. Can the Cauchy-Euler method be used to solve non-homogeneous differential equations?

Yes, the Cauchy-Euler method can be used to solve non-homogeneous differential equations by first finding the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation and then using the method of undetermined coefficients to find a particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation.

5. What are the limitations of the Cauchy-Euler method?

The Cauchy-Euler method can only be used to solve linear differential equations and is not applicable to non-linear equations or systems of equations. Additionally, it may not always produce a real-valued solution, as it relies on the assumption of a solution in the form of a power function.