Answer: Prove Oscillation of Subintervals in [c,d] with η < ω_f (x)

In summary: I've been briefly introduced to a few compactness arguments. I see what you mean now, thank you for your...
GridironCPJ
Q: Suppose that the oscillation ω_f (x) of a function f is smaller than η at each point x of an interval [c,d]. Show that there must be a partition π of [c,d] s.t. the oscillation
ωf([x_(k-1),x_k ])<η
on each member of the partition.

My solution (Rough sketch):

This condition on x is local, so it must be true for a δ-neightborhood of x s.t. ωf(δ(x))<η. Now take a partition s.t. each subinterval [x_(k-1),x_k ]<δ. Thus, each subinterval is less than the δ from the δ-neightborhood of x, so then
ωf([x_(k-1),x_k ])[itex]\leq[/itex]ωf(δ(x))<η. QED

Is this logic too sloppy? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to a more proper way to prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org

GridironCPJ said:
Q: Suppose that the oscillation ω_f (x) of a function f is smaller than η at each point x of an interval [c,d]. Show that there must be a partition π of [c,d] s.t. the oscillation
ωf([x_(k-1),x_k ])<η
on each member of the partition.

My solution (Rough sketch):

This condition on x is local, so it must be true for a δ-neightborhood of x s.t. ωf(δ(x))<η. Now take a partition s.t. each subinterval [x_(k-1),x_k ]<δ. Thus, each subinterval is less than the δ from the δ-neightborhood of x, so then
ωf([x_(k-1),x_k ])[itex]\leq[/itex]ωf(δ(x))<η. QED

Is this logic too sloppy? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to a more proper way to prove this?

"The oscillation ω_f (x) of a function f is smaller than η at each point x of an interval [c,d]" means [itex]\lim_{t \to 0^+} \omega_{[x-t,x+t]}f(x)=h<\eta\Longrightarrow \forall \epsilon>0\,\,\exists \delta>0\,\,s.t.[/itex]

[itex]0<t<\delta\Longrightarrow \left|\omega_{[x-t, x+t]}f(x)-h\right|<\epsilon[/itex]

Can you take it from here?

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
"The oscillation ω_f (x) of a function f is smaller than η at each point x of an interval [c,d]" means [itex]\lim_{t \to 0^+} \omega_{[x-t,x+t]}f(x)=h<\eta\Longrightarrow \forall \epsilon>0\,\,\exists \delta>0\,\,s.t.[/itex]

[itex]0<t<\delta\Longrightarrow \left|\omega_{[x-t, x+t]}f(x)-h\right|<\epsilon[/itex]

Can you take it from here?

DonAntonio

That's a much nicer definition of what's going on. Now, I can simply just take a partition of [c, d] s.t. each subinterval of the partition is of equal length, specifically [x-t, x+t], which satisfies the definition of being less than η. Correct?

GridironCPJ said:
That's a much nicer definition of what's going on. Now, I can simply just take a partition of [c, d] s.t. each subinterval of the partition is of equal length, specifically [x-t, x+t], which satisfies the definition of being less than η. Correct?

Well, no, since "t" depends on the particular [itex]x\in [c,d][/itex] are we working with -- and thus it' would have been wiser

to denote it by [itex]t_x[/itex] --, but then you can argue as follows:

Since clearly our original interval [itex] [c,d]\subset \cup_{x\in [c,d]}(x-t_x,x+t_x)[/itex] and it is a compact set in the

real line, there exists a finite number of points...etc.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Well, no, since "t" depends on the particular [itex]x\in [c,d][/itex] are we working with -- and thus it' would have been wiser

to denote it by [itex]t_x[/itex] --, but then you can argue as follows:

Since clearly our original interval [itex] [c,d]\subset \cup_{x\in [c,d]}(x-t_x,x+t_x)[/itex] and it is a compact set in the

real line, there exists a finite number of points...etc.

DonAntonio

You lost me on the finite number of points part. I appologize, as my compactness knowledge is quite scarse.

GridironCPJ said:
You lost me on the finite number of points part. I appologize, as my compactness knowledge is quite scarse.

Well, if you haven't yet studied compact sets I, for one, cannot help you. The continuation of my idea is:

By compactness of [c,d] there exist a finite number of points [itex]x_1,...,x_n\,\,s.t.\,\,[c,d]\subset \cup_{i=1}^n (x_i-t_{x_i},x_i+t_{x_i})[/itex] , so now we can choose

[itex]t:=\max_i\{t_{x_i}\}[/itex] and now yes: end the proof as you wanted before.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Well, if you haven't yet studied compact sets I, for one, cannot help you. The continuation of my idea is:

By compactness of [c,d] there exist a finite number of points [itex]x_1,...,x_n\,\,s.t.\,\,[c,d]\subset \cup_{i=1}^n (x_i-t_{x_i},x_i+t_{x_i})[/itex] , so now we can choose

[itex]t:=\max_i\{t_{x_i}\}[/itex] and now yes: end the proof as you wanted before.

DonAntonio

I've been briefly introduced to a few compactness arguments. I see what you mean now, thank you for your help.

1. What is the concept of "oscillation" in mathematics?

Oscillation in mathematics refers to the behavior of a function or sequence that alternates between two values without converging to a specific value. It is a measure of the rapidity with which a function or sequence changes between these two values.

2. How do we prove oscillation of subintervals in a given interval [c,d]?

To prove oscillation of subintervals in [c,d], we need to show that for any given value η less than the frequency ω_f(x), there exists at least one subinterval within [c,d] where the function or sequence oscillates with a frequency greater than η. This can be done by finding a specific subinterval and demonstrating the oscillation behavior within that subinterval.

3. What is the significance of proving oscillation of subintervals in [c,d]?

Proving oscillation of subintervals in [c,d] is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function or sequence in a specific interval. It can also provide insights into the convergence or divergence of the function or sequence in that interval. Additionally, it can be useful in applications such as signal processing and control systems.

4. How does the value of η affect the oscillation behavior of subintervals?

The value of η is directly related to the frequency of oscillation in the subintervals. A smaller value of η indicates a higher frequency of oscillation, while a larger value of η indicates a lower frequency of oscillation. In other words, as η approaches ω_f(x), the oscillation behavior becomes less frequent and tends to converge to a specific value.

5. Can we prove oscillation of subintervals in [c,d] for all functions or sequences?

No, we cannot prove oscillation of subintervals in [c,d] for all functions or sequences. This is because the concept of oscillation only applies to functions or sequences that exhibit alternation between two values without converging. For functions or sequences that do not exhibit this behavior, the concept of oscillation does not hold and cannot be proven.