Combining statistics from two distributions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of combining statistics from two distributions for the same parameter, X. The speaker has one distribution for X from population A and another from population B, and wants to assume all data is from the same population. They have calculated UTLs for each population but need a single, combined UTL. However, they only have the calculated statistics and not the original data. The other speaker suggests using the mean and standard deviation to combine the values with a weighted average. The UTL is defined as the 95% upper tolerance limit for a normal distribution. The speaker plans to follow up on this suggestion.
mclovin
Is it possible to combine statistics from two distributions for the same parameter. For example I have one distribution for X from population A and a second distribution for X from population B. I want to assume all data is from the same population. I have calculated UTLs(Upper tolerance limits) for each population but need a single, combined utl for a combined population. The catch is I don't have the original data, only the calculated statistics.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is that upper tolerance limit defined?
If you have some data about the distribution of the expected parameter (like mean+standard deviation and the assumption of a Gaussian distribution), you can combine both.

According to the summary stats it is a normal distribution and the UTL is the 95% Upper tolrance Limit. i have the range of values and the artithmetic mean. No std dev.

In that case, the standard deviation is just ~1/2 of the distance between mean and UTL. You can combine both values with a weighted average (the formula should be somewhere at wikipedia or on other pages. The weights are just the inverse variances.).

Thank you. I will follow up on this.

1. What is meant by combining statistics from two distributions?

Combining statistics from two distributions refers to the process of merging data from two separate distributions into one dataset. This is often done to compare the characteristics and patterns of the two distributions and draw conclusions about their relationship.

2. Why would someone want to combine statistics from two distributions?

Combining statistics from two distributions can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the data and can help identify similarities and differences between the two distributions. This can be useful in various fields such as economics, social sciences, and healthcare.

3. How do you combine statistics from two distributions?

There are several methods for combining statistics from two distributions, including calculating the mean, median, and mode of the combined data, creating a histogram or box plot, and conducting a statistical test such as a t-test or ANOVA. The method used will depend on the type of data and the research question being addressed.

4. What are the potential challenges in combining statistics from two distributions?

One challenge in combining statistics from two distributions is ensuring that the data is compatible and can be accurately merged. This may require transforming the data or using specialized techniques. Another challenge is interpreting the results and determining the significance of any differences or similarities between the two distributions.

5. Are there any limitations to combining statistics from two distributions?

Yes, there are limitations to combining statistics from two distributions. The data may not accurately represent the entire population, and the results may only be generalizable to the specific data being used. Additionally, the methods used to combine the data may have their own assumptions and limitations that should be considered when interpreting the results.