Could you use the binomial distribution here?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the binomial distribution to model the number of red counters in a sample of 30 taken from a larger collection where 10% are red. It is noted that this may not be appropriate for smaller sample sizes, and that the population size must be sufficiently large for the binomial distribution to accurately represent the probabilities. Sampling with or without replacement also affects the applicability of the binomial distribution.
trollcast
Gold Member
I'm looking through my statistics notes and on the page that's giving examples of cases where you can use a binomial distribution it gives the problem:

"The number of red counters in a randomly chosen sample of 30 counters taken from a large number of counters of which 10% are red."

Now my notes goes on to say that this can't be modeled by a binomial distribution but doesn't say how you could model it with any other distribution.

But given that very limited amount of data could you not obtain a reasonable estimate of the probabilities using the binomial distribution as the question states, "a large number" , could we not assume that removing the counter isn't going to change the probability very much?

Physics news on Phys.org
trollcast said:
could you not obtain a reasonable estimate of the probabilities using the binomial distribution as the question states, "a large number" , could we not assume that removing the counter isn't going to change the probability very much?

Yes, the binomial distribtion is appropriate here. I think your notes should say that "if the number of counters is not large it cannot be modeled using the binomial distribtion"; in this case you would have to calculate the specific probabilities of 0, 1, 2... red counters when selecting 30 from N (without replacement - if there is replacement then the binomial distribution always applies).

MrAnchovy said:
Yes, the binomial distribtion is appropriate here. I think your notes should say that "if the number of counters is not large it cannot be modeled using the binomial distribtion"; in this case you would have to calculate the specific probabilities of 0, 1, 2... red counters when selecting 30 from N (without replacement - if there is replacement then the binomial distribution always applies).

Thanks,

How would you define large enough? If the sample is 1% of the population or something?

Firstly, I should have pointed out that "calculating the specific probabilities of 0, 1, 2... red counters when selecting 30 from N without replacement" is in fact the Hypergeometric Distribution.

"Large enough" depends on how accurate you want to be; for further investigation and limits on errors see statistical textbooks or google "binomial hypergeometric difference".

MrAnchovy said:
Firstly, I should have pointed out that "calculating the specific probabilities of 0, 1, 2... red counters when selecting 30 from N without replacement" is in fact the Hypergeometric Distribution.

"Large enough" depends on how accurate you want to be; for further investigation and limits on errors see statistical textbooks or google "binomial hypergeometric difference".

Ok, I thought that if population was too small then it wouldn't work at all but I see now how its all to do with a small population making the error far too large to get a sensible value out of it.

"Large enough" depends on how accurate you want to be; for further investigation and limits on errors see statistical textbooks or google "binomial hypergeometric difference"."

Typically if the sample size is at most 5% of the population size the binomial distribution can be used.

trollcast said:
Ok, I thought that if population was too small then it wouldn't work at all but I see now how its all to do with a small population making the error far too large to get a sensible value out of it.

Indeed. In this case the binomial distribution gives P(3) ≈ 0.24 whereas with N = 60, P(3) ≈ 0.33.

The population size must be large so that the 10% value is true for the entire collection of 30 counters -- the binomial distribution assumes the same probability (10% in this example) for all 30 counters to be picked.

If you sample without replacement from a small population, then removing a counter significantly affects the likelihood that the next counter chosen is red. But if you sample with replacement, then the 10% value remains fixed no matter the population size -- as MrAnchovy indicated, the binomial distribution would apply exactly, not just approximately.

1. What is the binomial distribution?

The binomial distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial can only have two possible outcomes (success or failure). It is often used in situations where we are interested in counting the number of successes in a given sample or population.

2. When should I use the binomial distribution?

The binomial distribution is most commonly used when the following conditions are met: 1) there are a fixed number of trials, 2) each trial has two possible outcomes, 3) the trials are independent of each other, and 4) the probability of success remains constant across all trials.

3. How do I calculate the probability using the binomial distribution?

To calculate the probability of a certain number of successes using the binomial distribution, you will need to know the number of trials, the probability of success for each trial, and the number of successes you are interested in. You can then use the binomial formula or a calculator to determine the probability.

4. Can the binomial distribution be used for continuous data?

No, the binomial distribution is only applicable to discrete data, where the outcomes can only take on a limited number of values. For continuous data, other probability distributions such as the normal distribution may be more appropriate.

5. What are some real-life examples of using the binomial distribution?

The binomial distribution has many applications in various fields, including: 1) predicting the outcome of elections, 2) analyzing the success rates of medical treatments, 3) modeling the probability of getting heads or tails when flipping a coin, and 4) estimating the likelihood of success in a series of sports games.