What Factors Influence the Band Gap in Band Structures?

In summary: There you can find documentation on how to run the code and check the results.In summary, the pseudopotential used in the DFT calculation can lead to an overestimation of the band gap.
Arun Prasath
What are the parameters affects the band gap in a band structure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Too broad question. Try to be specific a bit.

I have calculated band gap value of rutile TiO2 using Density Functional Theory with the help of
Quantum ESPRESSO package.I got the band gap value around 5 eV. But from experimental reference, I could confirm that the band gap value is 3.2 eV. Then DFT will always underestimate the band gap value. But in my calculation it overestimate the band gap value? so I would like to correct the error. So kindly let me know what are the parameters have an impact on bandgap value.

In a DFT calculation this can happen if one uses an unreasonably large U values within DFT+U framework. Also I believe that hybrid functionals in their standard form (i.e. 25% of exact exchange) can overestimate the band gap for some materials.
Has the pseudopotential you are using been tested carefully?
Other factors I can think of is straining the lattcie parameter of the simulation cell.

Thank you Useful nucleus. could you please tell me how to test the pseudopotential?

Testing a pseudopotnetial is a nontrivial task and I would not get into it unless I'm the one who generated it. Usually one trusts the tests that the developers of the psuedopotential did. I used those developed by VASP team and they seem to be well-trusted (except may be for their ultrasoft ones which the VASP team is not developing any more.).

To learn more about the kinds of tests they typically do , you may for example download and have a look at some ppt slides on VASP website which they prepared for a workshop in the past. If you have more time you may look up some of their papers as well. Or even better look at the website of the code you are using.

What is a band gap in band structure?

A band gap in band structure refers to the energy range between the valence band and the conduction band in a solid material. It is a region where no electron energy levels are present, indicating that electrons cannot exist within this range of energy.

How is band gap related to the electrical conductivity of a material?

The band gap of a material determines its electrical conductivity. Materials with a larger band gap are insulators, as there is a significant energy barrier for electrons to move from the valence band to the conduction band. Materials with a smaller band gap or no band gap are conductors, as electrons can easily move between energy levels.

What causes a band gap to exist in a material?

A band gap is typically caused by the arrangement of atoms in a material's crystal lattice. When atoms are closely packed, they form energy levels that are separated by a band gap. The size of the band gap depends on the type of atoms and their arrangement in the material.

Can the band gap of a material be changed?

Yes, the band gap of a material can be altered by changing the arrangement of atoms, applying pressure, or introducing impurities. This can result in a material with a different electrical conductivity or even a completely different band structure.

Why is the study of band gap important in materials science?

The band gap is an essential property to understand in materials science as it affects a material's electrical, thermal, and optical properties. It is also a crucial factor in determining a material's potential applications, such as in electronic devices, solar cells, and semiconductors.