Intersection coordinates are my points right?

In summary, the conversation was about checking the accuracy of the two points of intersection for the given equations and discussing the use of a graphing calculator to verify the solutions. One person suggested using software like Maple, while another suggested graphing the equations using a calculator. However, it was also mentioned that the calculated points were already correct and there was no need for further verification.
aisha
Hi can someone please check that my points of intersection are correct?

The question was determine the coordinate of the intersection point of

[tex] \frac {(x-3)^2} {9} + \frac {y+2)^2} {4} =1 [/tex] and [tex] y=2x-3 [/tex]

I after putting the second equation into the first and then expanding and solving for x and y I got my two intersection points to be

(1.33,-0.34) and (0.169,-2.66) These values work well when plugged into the equation both coordinates equal 36 from the first equation when denominators are eliminated.

I wanted to check this with the graphing calculator but was having a hard time putting the first equation into y= form. Can someone help me out a little please :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
With what?If you got those points (which was what the problem asked),then you're done with it.

Can't your software plot implicit equations?My Maple can.

Daniel.

you did it right no need to graph it'd be a waste of time. If you really wanted to you can graph this in a calculator(i'm assuming you have TIsomething), you need to put one of the equations in two pieces one positive square root and the other negative.

1. How do I find the coordinates of an intersection point?

To find the coordinates of an intersection point, you will need to have the equations of the lines that intersect at that point. Then, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the values of x and y. These values will be the coordinates of the intersection point.

2. Can I use a graph to find the coordinates of an intersection point?

Yes, you can use a graph to find the coordinates of an intersection point. Plot the two lines on the same graph and visually determine the coordinates where they intersect. However, this method may not be as accurate as solving algebraically.

3. What is the importance of knowing the coordinates of intersection points?

Knowing the coordinates of intersection points is important in various mathematical and scientific applications. It can help in solving systems of equations, finding solutions to real-world problems, and determining the location of points in a coordinate system.

4. How can I check if my calculated intersection coordinates are correct?

You can check if your calculated intersection coordinates are correct by plugging them back into the original equations. If they satisfy both equations, then they are the correct coordinates of the intersection point.

5. What should I do if my calculated intersection coordinates do not match the actual coordinates on a graph?

If your calculated intersection coordinates do not match the actual coordinates on a graph, double check your calculations and make sure you did not make any mistakes. If you are still unable to find the correct coordinates, you may need to use a different method or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.